NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > Midwest Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Midwest Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 221 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old February 3rd, 2014, 16:41
NAXJA Forum Addict

Re: Important

Well think I might have a deal in the works for trade for the car. Only thing i'm a little leary on is the miles on it. Its a 98 limited zj with the 318 v8 and has 206,000 miles. Said the only things wrong with it are the tranny and transfer leak a little and rear hatch struts are bad. I'm really considering going and looking at it cuz its pretty much exactly what I am looking for. What do you all think of a deal like this for my car? Granted my car needs catalytic converter and tires on it. But its also 3 years newer and 50,000 miles less

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMSET View Post
never a time where a good boob does not fix things
Old February 3rd, 2014, 16:41
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastein View Post
Could be crummy grounding on something in the engine compartment or a bad rectifier pack in the alternator, too. Couldn't tell you more without putting an o-scope on things.
That makes me wonder how many people know how to use oscilloscopes? Not many people have access to one.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 16:45
Past MWC President

Re: Re: Important

Quote:
Originally Posted by vt98xj View Post
That makes me wonder how many people know how to use oscilloscopes? Not many people have access to one.
I feel dumb when Ken talks

member #285

My build thread: Out of Misery II
Old February 3rd, 2014, 17:06
NAXJA Forum User

I don't have an oscilloscope or know how to use one. I really want to get one though, would be useful if my renix ever decides to throw a fit, and a ton of other stuff.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 17:40
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

I have like nine or ten. I collect them the same way old ladies collect cats.

Don't think I paid more than 50 bucks for any single scope, or more than 150 for the whole pile. Most I got free, either broken or surplus to requirements and about to be scrapped at the various schools I've gone to.

I know I have something like 4-5 Tektronix 2213As, a pair of 465s, a 7904 (the best scope I have, but needs some switch contacts cleaned), an RM565 (just because it's awesome looking, it's basically uselessly obsolete and huge, all vacuum tubes) as well as several I can't remember the model numbers of. At one point I had 9 2213As, mostly broken, but I fixed most of them and sold them to pay for textbooks during college.

They're really pretty easy to use. There are howto videos on youtube that will guide you through probably 90% of the situations you'll need a scope for.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 17:45
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastein View Post
I have like nine or ten. I collect them the same way old ladies collect cats.

Don't think I paid more than 50 bucks for any single scope, or more than 150 for the whole pile. Most I got free, either broken or surplus to requirements and about to be scrapped at the various schools I've gone to.

I know I have something like 4-5 Tektronix 2213As, a pair of 465s, a 7904 (the best scope I have, but needs some switch contacts cleaned), an RM565 (just because it's awesome looking, it's basically uselessly obsolete and huge, all vacuum tubes) as well as several I can't remember the model numbers of. At one point I had 9 2213As, mostly broken, but I fixed most of them and sold them to pay for textbooks during college.

They're really pretty easy to use. There are howto videos on youtube that will guide you through probably 90% of the situations you'll need a scope for.
Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by *89Laredo* View Post
I don't have an oscilloscope or know how to use one. I really want to get one though, would be useful if my renix ever decides to throw a fit, and a ton of other stuff.
Check out picoscope, it is what I use at work. Hooks up to a laptop for the screen and controls. Very easy to use (Dan could probably figure it out). It is small and easy to travel with. I think the one I bought for work was ~$1500
Old February 3rd, 2014, 17:48
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

If $1500 isn't in your budget, here's a quite good 100MHz (way, way more than you will ever need to work on a car, really) analog two channel oscilloscope for $220 buy it now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-46...em3cdbd8f0 21

No relation to the seller, just the first one that came up on ebay for a reasonable price that didn't say it was for repair or parts only.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 18:05
<- Yum Chocolate

Important

I have an ohscope, use it on my wife all the time.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 18:17
NAXJA Forum User

Lol
Old February 3rd, 2014, 18:32
NAXJA Forum User

I have a OTC scope at work that gets used every now and again. Bossmans on the fense about a new scanner from Snapon. Im trying to talk him into it. Modis Ultra with a built in scope.

I had heard of the pico scope but havent looked into it much. I noticed the price and kind of backed off. lol But in reality the price isnt that bad for what it is.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 18:43
NAXJA Forum User

The king shocks shootout is streaming live on ultra4racing.com starts at 9pm eastern.
[/QUOTE]
Old February 3rd, 2014, 19:39
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboy87 View Post
I have a OTC scope at work that gets used every now and again. Bossmans on the fense about a new scanner from Snapon. Im trying to talk him into it. Modis Ultra with a built in scope.

I had heard of the pico scope but havent looked into it much. I noticed the price and kind of backed off. lol But in reality the price isnt that bad for what it is.
Picoscopes are cheap compared to some of the $10k scopes we were looking at...
Old February 3rd, 2014, 20:45
NAXJA Member

If I get my XJ back in the next few weeks (or hopefully this week), I plan on coming to WF and wheeling Saturday only. Hopefully I will know tomorrow when I will get it back. With a back up vehicle, I will let Sarah wheel it for a little bit on some easy areas. Once I am lifted with bigger tires, I will let her wheel it more.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 20:50
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexdXJ View Post
Cummins requires you to stay 2 years if they pay for your schooling.

So does the company I work for....hence the reason I am paying for my school. I'm not giving them 2 more years without something in writing.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 21:02
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepguy91 View Post
Well think I might have a deal in the works for trade for the car. Only thing i'm a little leary on is the miles on it. Its a 98 limited zj with the 318 v8 and has 206,000 miles. Said the only things wrong with it are the tranny and transfer leak a little and rear hatch struts are bad. I'm really considering going and looking at it cuz its pretty much exactly what I am looking for. What do you all think of a deal like this for my car? Granted my car needs catalytic converter and tires on it. But its also 3 years newer and 50,000 miles less

I think the hatch struts are bad on all of them....

But inspect it well for rust. Mine looked not bad, had about 220k on it.. leaked a little tranny fluid.... and was completely rusted out underneath. I went to jack it up to wiggle my fat rear under to change the starter and the jack crunched right through the unitbody.