• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Throttle Bodies....for my jeep.

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
just curious if they make a throttle body spacer for an 89 cherokee 4.0 inline 6. I have seen it on the 2.5's and on jeeps starting in 1991. Why do they not make one for my year when they do for the smaller engine in my year.

dellstopjeep said:
just curious if they make a throttle body spacer for an 89 cherokee 4.0 inline 6. I have seen it on the 2.5's and on jeeps starting in 1991. Why do they not make one for my year when they do for the smaller engine in my year.

Do a search, there are several options available. Personally I'd spend my money on something that gave better results......like a cam and header.

I wouldn't waste money on a spacer for the renix(87 to 90 4.0) I would spend the money on a HO TB and a spacer for tha if you want. There is a spackit that is a spacer that adapts to the HO setup witch works well.

dellstopjeep said:
HO? TB? everyone uses these code words on me i dont understand..... im just not up to date with the computer age yet i guess.

HO, you know, that biatch you slap around.

:D

HO=High Output, as in 91+ engines. NON HO=Renix motors, like you have.

The only technical spacer for a non ho are the ones on ebay and one from Joe Attardo.

http://www.rockmodified.com/2003/april/TB/tb_perf.htm

Joe Attardo also makes the HO adapter that their talking about, I figure, for a bolt on engine, that a bored non ho tb and a custom spacer are enough, but if/when I stroke my 4.0, itll be getting a 62mm TB, but then again, probably a 99+intake manifold too.

I suggest that you replace your small bore Renix TB with the larger bore HO TB from a '91-'95 junkyard 4.0 XJ/YJ/ZJ. You can use a sanding drum to remove the taper at the bottom of the bore to make the whole bore 60mm. Use Joe Attardo's spacer to bolt the HO TB onto your existing manifold, and follow his instructions on adapting your TPS to the new TB.
Top off the larger TB with a K&N (or Intense Performance Powerstack) cone filter on a homemade airtube (go to the FIPK page of my website for details) and a heatshield to complete a cold air intake.
You should gain at least 10hp very cheaply by doing these mods.

Back