NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old November 19th, 2019, 10:00
NAXJA Forum User

Electric Fan

What other trouble shooting can I do......or is it the ECM?

2001 XJ 2 WD

Electric fan runs constantly due to previous owner wiring in a relay by the fuse box.

When this relay is disconnected the electric fan stops.

With the extra relay disconnected - disconnect the coolant sensor connector the electric fan will come on.

The relay in the PDC has been replaced. The fuse in the PDC has been checked and is good.

I am thinking it might be the ECM but do not want to replace that unless I am sure.

I just do not know what else to replace.

The temp sensor on the back of the engine ha no bearing, right?
Old November 19th, 2019, 21:28
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Electric Fan

Here goes my first message ever on here lmao. Still trying to figure this site out.

Is it possible to ditch the relay and connect things back to original....?

Also that electric fan is triggered by the ac"SWITCH" turning on as well. so even if the ac is disconnected or just not working it doesnt affect the fan. it is only affected from the controls inside the cab, i learned this from my first 93 cherokee. hopefully this helps or makes sense.
Old November 20th, 2019, 04:39
Freakish Hand Strength

Normal stock e-fan operation for 2000-01 is that e-fan runs only when called for by the ECM, based upon engine temperature, usually at about 218*. If the e-fan runs when the wire plug is disconnected from the Coolant Temperature Sensor on the thermostat housing, everything is likely functioning normally as originally designed. The 00-01 ECM does not cycle the e-fan on/off/on/off when the A/C is selected.

1997-2001 only have one temperature sensor, the one located on the thermostat housing.

It sounds like when the extra PO installed relay is disconnected, everything is functioning normally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyjer

Tim MAY be 100% correct, but why would a person automatically pick him as the expert .....

Last edited by Tim_MN; November 20th, 2019 at 04:42.
Old November 20th, 2019, 15:03
NAXJA Member

ChipsXJ, -as others have said, the electric fan in a 2000-2001 only turns on when the temp gets up to 218. What a lot of us do is wire in a switch to turn on the fan manually. I did the mod in my 2000XJ and it works great! - Here is the FAQ on it https://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1114367