NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > Land Use / Off Topic and other Forums > Non-Tech / Off Topic
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Non-Tech / Off Topic The popular Non-Tech Forum. NO SPAM at all. Period.

Old October 24th, 2019, 01:01
NAXJA Forum User

Compressor running when not turned on?

I have an '02 Taurus with 85k miles on her that I just bought. Today when I was checking something under the hood I noticed this metal line cold and dripping with water...

I had the air on but turned to the position of arrows pointing out of the dash and floor vents only. The defrost or a/c function was not selected. It seems to be doing it consistently. I haven't traced all the parts of this car's a/c system yet but I don't know of anything else under a hood that turns cold and sweats. Why would my compressor be working when it's not selected? What tests should I run?
Old October 24th, 2019, 01:14
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Compressor running when not turned on?

Sorry the pic is so huge. I tried to reduce it. If you get over to the middle of the picture and go down you'll see a pipe with a white box around it.
Old October 25th, 2019, 11:45
NAXJA Forum User

I've since been told Ford designed it to turn on in the mode I was running it and the only mode the compressor doesn't come on is the floor only. Who knew.
Old October 28th, 2019, 13:18
Sarge <3 Ben

Yes, in the defrost position it will cycle your AC because it dries the air. Most vehicles work this way. Including the Cherokee.

I guess selecting the dash vents on yours, automatically assumes you are defrosting.