NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old September 12th, 2019, 19:15
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Blowing smoke from exhaust

That just isn't right! Clean it all out good and flush it into the oil pan. I would recommend pulling the pan and cleaning it and the oil pump screen also.
Old September 12th, 2019, 19:38
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
That just isn't right! Clean it all out good and flush it into the oil pan. I would recommend pulling the pan and cleaning it and the oil pump screen also.
Is there a suggested method to clean it out without clogging the oil passages?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old September 12th, 2019, 19:51
NAXJA Forum User

Good grief! Have you ever changed that oil? You've got so much gunk it there, it's probably not draining back down to the pan and getting blown out the ccv. Yeah, you need to do some major cleaning and pull the pan. I'd be shocked if the oil pickup isn't just as nasty.
Old September 12th, 2019, 19:52
NAXJA Forum User

That is pretty bad! If it were my XJ, I'd get a couple gallons of kerosene and start cleaning the head with a paint brush and let it drain into the crankcase. Then , as suggested, I'd pull the oil pan and clean it as well. I've seen some oil pans with a 1/2" plus layer of grease/dirt in the bottom that had to be scrapped out.

Best regards,

CJR
Old September 12th, 2019, 19:55
NAXJA Forum User

Omg, I didn't even know that was possible. It looks like caramelized sugar on everything.

Has a compression test ever been done? Just curious
Old September 12th, 2019, 20:03
NAXJA Forum User

Blowing smoke from exhaust

It was a free Jeep, so I can't take any credit for the maintenance thus far. I'm afraid to start knocking the gunge loose for fear of clogging the pickup and or oil passages....

Old September 12th, 2019, 20:03
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JeePmaNthINg View Post
Omg, I didn't even know that was possible. It looks like caramelized sugar on everything.

Has a compression test ever been done? Just curious
Never done compression test. I was going to do it before getting this far, but I just want to drive it.

Old September 12th, 2019, 20:07
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain164845 View Post
It was a free Jeep, so I can't take any credit for the maintenance thus far. I'm afraid to start knocking the gunge loose for fear of clogging the pickup and or oil passages....

Probably too late for that. You need to drop the pan either way. I've had engines bad enough that I needed screwdriver, putty knife and the shop vac to suck up the rock hard oxidized oil. Poor quality oil, never changing it and running hot are the usual culprits. At least it doesn't look like there's coolant in the oil.
Old September 13th, 2019, 05:45
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain164845 View Post
Is there a suggested method to clean it out without clogging the oil passages?

There are no oil passages to worry about, the only holes are drain-back openings that go straight to the pan.
Old September 13th, 2019, 06:22
NAXJA Forum User

RCP Phx,

Those oil drainback holes can get clogged. I was working on a XJ block that was professionally cleaned, washed with soap and water, and assembled. Then just before placing the head in place, I looked down and saw a clogged oil drainback hole. I had to disassemble the block again, open-up the clogged oil drainback hole, wash again with soap and water, and reassemble.

If the oil pan is pulled, you may be able to open any clogged oil drainback holes by working underneath the engine and working upwards. It's very important to have all those oil drainback holes open.

Best regards,

CJR
Old September 13th, 2019, 06:49
NAXJA Forum User

An added thought. The connecting rods have "oil squirter holes" which throw oil on the cylinder walls for lubrication. These "oil squirter holes" may also be clogged and cause serious problems. So after thoroughly cleaning the head, opening any clogged oil drainback holes; add some Marvel Mystery cleaner to the new engine oil before you fired the engine. Run the engine for a day or so and then drain the oil and add new oil w/ Marvel Mystery cleaner and run for about a couple hundred miles. Pull the valve cover and see how clean the valves, rockers, etc. are getting. If still dirty, drain the oil, replace oil filter and repeat until the engine gets clean.

Best regards,

CJR
Old September 13th, 2019, 07:00
NAXJA Forum User

The only holes are for the pushrods and are short leading to the underside cavity in the head. Clean those with a bottle brush if you want, after that it's just a couple inches to the interior block area.

OP. yes your going to need a couple of "good" filters.
Put the cheapest oil you can buy in for a couple days of easy but full temp running.
Then change the oil/filter again with good oil.
Old September 13th, 2019, 07:38
NAXJA Forum User

OP, the sad part is your going to spend about a week and a few dollars. The outcome you may not like in the end.

On a funny sidenote..... I had a customer come in for a installed/rebuilt motor. She drove the car in and I pulled it into the bay. First thing I did was pull the drain plug, nothing came out, Hmmm! Doing the core check the motor looked just like this head only though-out the entire block.
But it ran!
Old September 13th, 2019, 17:32
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
The only holes are for the pushrods and are short leading to the underside cavity in the head. Clean those with a bottle brush if you want, after that it's just a couple inches to the interior block area.

OP. yes your going to need a couple of "good" filters.

Put the cheapest oil you can buy in for a couple days of easy but full temp running.

Then change the oil/filter again with good oil.

Are you able to draw an arrow on your picture of the drain holes? My head is too clogged to see any sort of holes...

Old September 13th, 2019, 18:47
NAXJA Forum User

No, but it's 12 push rod holes on the bottom area(you can see the background on some)