NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old August 14th, 2019, 20:29
NAXJA Forum User

transfer case questions

Hey guys.
Sadly my little xj needs some money thrown her way again.
I had been hearing an odd noise. today I tracked it down to the xfer case chain.

Honestly Until I started doing research I figured xfer case and transmission shared fluid supply. Oh boy am I wrong and with 250k on the clock. Lets guess its ruined.
so with that in mind.
From what I am reading buy a used one and swap it in because its not worth rebuilding ? correct ?
going fowards.
92 xj 4.0 aw4 with a 242 should be a 23 spline correct ?
and I believe I need to make sure I have the one that has its own ecu.
trying to get solid information before I make a plan.
Thanks as always !
Old August 14th, 2019, 22:09
NAXJA Forum User

Re: transfer case questions

The xfer cases are not hard to rebuild. Not sure what you mean by it's own ecu? It's not computer controlled.
Old August 15th, 2019, 04:46
Freakish Hand Strength

Unless the chain has sawed thru the case, and it leaking fluid, probably all you need to replace is the chain and the shift fork tabs. Or, find a compatible t-case to swap, but it will likely need a chain and tabs, or even a rebuild. 91-95 are bolt on, other years may fit if you swap some parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyjer

Tim MAY be 100% correct, but why would a person automatically pick him as the expert .....
Old August 15th, 2019, 10:26
NAXJA Member

I haven't had much luck finding 242s in my area and shipping one in is cost prohibitive. Rebuilding them is not hard. It's probably the easiest major component of the vehicle to rebuild. And the rebuild kits are pretty cheap even from a name brand source. I went though NOVAK Adapt and got their master kit which includes the chain (for a 231 T-case) I think it was around 250 dollars, but has high quality Japanese bearings in the kit.

You can get a rebuild kit from Rock Auto and then add in a chain for a total of about 150ish dollars but I'm unsure as to their quality and a major drive line component isn't something I was wanting to cheap out on. My 231 chain was so worn out in 4 low in high torque situations the chain would jump the sprockets and make an awful noise.

https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/...s/np-242-parts
Old August 15th, 2019, 12:42
NAXJA Forum User

My xfer case sounds like someone is shaking a can of pennies
But it's intermittent.
I'll look into rebuilding it
Old August 15th, 2019, 13:10
NAXJA Forum User

Something to consider, swapping in a 231.
Old August 15th, 2019, 14:38
NAXJA Forum User

You'll have to pry the 242 out of my cold dead hands. If you need 4wd on-road at all, be it dirt or paved, there's no comparison.

Regarding rebuild kits, you get what you pay for. Tried one of those ~$100 kits and the bearings were junk. Night and day difference between them and the Timkens I used instead.

There are specific tools you need. Without the right size punches to remove and install the spring pin on the shifter shaft, the proper pliers to remove the retraining rings and another set of hands to get the rings back on (at least in a 242), it will be a long day.
Old August 15th, 2019, 17:54
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Malcolm View Post
You'll have to pry the 242 out of my cold dead hands. If you need 4wd on-road at all, be it dirt or paved, there's no comparison.

Regarding rebuild kits, you get what you pay for. Tried one of those ~$100 kits and the bearings were junk. Night and day difference between them and the Timkens I used instead.

There are specific tools you need. Without the right size punches to remove and install the spring pin on the shifter shaft, the proper pliers to remove the retraining rings and another set of hands to get the rings back on (at least in a 242), it will be a long day.
I have more tools than I'd like to admit. And I figured the shafts splines would be ruined ?
Does the wear only occur on bearings and chain ? I'm confused
Old August 15th, 2019, 18:42
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
Something to consider, swapping in a 231.
I am sorry but this idea will be met with pitchforks.
231 is a no. LOL sorry.
Once you have experienced the 242. you wont go back. full time 4wd may cost more mpg's and wear more parts. but its worth it for the smoother driving experience.
Old August 15th, 2019, 19:44
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3fan View Post
I have more tools than I'd like to admit. And I figured the shafts splines would be ruined ?
Does the wear only occur on bearings and chain ? I'm confused

If the chain gets worn enough, it will droop and start running the aluminum case. Like a bike, the gears usually don't wear as fast as the chain.
Old August 15th, 2019, 19:55
NAXJA Member

If the 242 ran dry in AWD then the planetary differential is going to be trashed

You can't mix early and late internals -- pre-95 has square teeth on the input shaft, low-high planetary, and annulus gears, while 95-up has sharp teeth, and they don't mesh together. If you can find a 242 from a late-model XJ with a similar transmission it will be a bolt-on job without having to open it up. ZJ 242 is essentially the same but different electronics (swap yours over) and they can be harder to find with the right input shaft. WJ 242 is quite different and requires moving hard parts around. The WJ 242-HD is even more different.
Old August 15th, 2019, 19:58
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsoncl View Post
If the chain gets worn enough, it will droop and start running the aluminum case. Like a bike, the gears usually don't wear as fast as the chain.
So. I would agree with you there.
However were talking 250k on a stroker on 31's and I do drive her kinda hard.
No fluid changes on the xfer case as stated above.
I really feel like the shafts will be bad. and want to plan for that. whats the chances they might be okay ?
Keep in mind this is my daily and my motorcycle is currently under construction.
so this really needs to be a weekend project is why I said swapping it however I cant seem to find a 242 for sale. them seem to be becoming rare
Old August 15th, 2019, 20:28
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehall View Post
If the 242 ran dry in AWD then the planetary differential is going to be trashed

You can't mix early and late internals -- pre-95 has square teeth on the input shaft, low-high planetary, and annulus gears, while 95-up has sharp teeth, and they don't mesh together. If you can find a 242 from a late-model XJ with a similar transmission it will be a bolt-on job without having to open it up. ZJ 242 is essentially the same but different electronics (swap yours over) and they can be harder to find with the right input shaft. WJ 242 is quite different and requires moving hard parts around. The WJ 242-HD is even more different.
It has not ran dry. I checked it and while the fluid is quite dark. it still seems to be almost full.

********** As I think back. and checked my pile of receipts from the prior owner. *yes I have full dealer service history
Transmission was replaced at 140k and it states they replaced the fluid the xfer case.
okay.
things are looking up.
Old August 15th, 2019, 20:32
NAXJA Member

I'm willing to bet the shafts are fine. Hell the bearings are probably fine but if you're tearing it down to the point of chain replacement you might as well replace the old bearings while you are in there (with quality parts of course). It's a pretty robust unit and when it's in 2wd it's not really under a lot of stress.

The teeth on the sprockets and splines on the shafts will be fine as well. Hell I drove a case with the chain jumping the sprockets for quite a while and my sprockets were good to go. My case had some drag marks where the chain was rubbing on the case but it hadn't worn through.
Old August 15th, 2019, 21:33
NAXJA Forum User

Im hoping so.

so what brand should I go with for aftermarket parts.
Also I must note. Never Ever Ever buy timken anymore. I bought two wheel bearings last year.
my stock ones were fine. but 250k why not replace.
Both already failed. right around after the year warranty mark.
timken is crap now.

I am seeing a few different companies but might just be the same kit re branded. it sure looks like it.

input on this ?