NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old August 15th, 2019, 11:06
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Pinion shaft not clearing ring gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAhasnoWAVES View Post
pack a welding blanket or something similar around the carrier.
to protect the carrier bearings and pinion bearings.
Old August 24th, 2019, 09:13
NAXJA Forum User

FYI some of those center pins have a machined edge cut into them allowing you to rotate it and slide it out. Have you tried to see if the pin may have a flat side to it?
Old August 24th, 2019, 10:13
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAhasnoWAVES View Post
given your work space i would just whip out the grinder and grind the teeth until the cross shaft comes out. try to figure out which side requires less grinding and hit it with what ever tool you see fit. pack a welding blanket or something similar around the carrier. be mindful of where you are sending sparks. and clean the crap out of it with brake clean when you are done.

its pretty common practice to have to grind a tooth or two to get the cross shaft out of a stock carrier. sometimes you cant index the ring gear to the carrier in a manner that lets you pull it without grinding a tooth, but not always. dont sweat the fact that you are grinding teeth. as was already said, the major part of the contact patch is not on the area you need to grind. also, the tooth is not seeing the load from the pinion all by itself. it is always sharing the load with 2 or 3 other teeth.

definitely replace the cross shaft.

Agree with this 1000% !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbar View Post
FYI some of those center pins have a machined edge cut into them allowing you to rotate it and slide it out. Have you tried to see if the pin may have a flat side to it?
If they have a machined edge, they will not work with a lunch box locker

While I don't doubt what you are saying, I haven't seen it either.
Old August 26th, 2019, 16:33
NAXJA Forum User

Pinion shaft not clearing ring gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbar View Post

No way to get it out and would still need to grind the teeth to clear the new center pin that is included with my locker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 1st, 2019, 15:59
NAXJA Forum User

Its been a while, but I have finally installed this powertrax no slip locker in my 8.25. I had to grind down about a third of one of my ring gear teeth to clear the center pin. Used a air power rotary grinder and went pretty quickly.

Wish I had the patients to make a video or write up because I haven't seen very much info out there on doing this.

I haven't had any other lockers in any other of my trucks before, but this noslip seems pretty tame. At first there was a clunk when it would disengage but has gotten much quieter. Definitely wants to drive straight and throttle even seems a bit more responsive on the road. Can't wait to try it off road.
Old October 7th, 2019, 02:44
NAXJA Forum User

Chuck a couple of good strong magnets In there. Grease/wax the dye grinder tip up every 10 secs.
Keep the tooth kool with spay oil etc.
And eyeball exactly what you only need to remove.
Don't leave a sharp edge on the tooth . Round off