• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Found my water leaks, best way to fix them?

country2

NAXJA Forum User
Finally got my new pans welded,sealed and painted (well waiting for paint to completely dry as it rained 4 days straight after painting with enamel).

Found 3 water leaks on drivers side:

1) steering column seal at firewall leaks.
2) Previous owner cut seal where wires comes thru drivers side kick panel from the door to run a wire instead of a small x shape cut so water comes it thru the cut and also follows the wires in.
3) Hood release cable the seal on it that goes thru firewall leaks between it and the cable.

Figure to fix:

#1 leak at steering column seal. Going to try some 3m urethane seam sealer between rubber and firewall.

#2 leak at wiring harness/seal at kick panel drivers front door. This one has me puzzled as best fix would be to locate a used complete harness due to how tight the wires are in that rubber grommet. So far search has netted none, so thinking about wire tie wires to bundle them back together tight also same thing with the rubber seal to create a tight fit between it and the wires and seal cut (they cut it from center hole to almost the outer edge) with whatever then try to pull some slack inside the kick panel so wires will have a uphill route since the water should not climb up. If it still leaks just going have to let it leak until I find a harness

#3 leak at hood release cable/grommet gonna try same thing with sealer between cable and rubber if still leaks just going to buy another cable since looks like the seal is bonded to it.

Oh also leak on passenger side at bottom of blower motor I found a nut missing hoping I can install nut and tight rest down some more. I replaced the heater core 2 years ago when I was still green on knowledge on XJ's so guess I'm the one who left it off and did not even think about replacing seals/gaskets on it as they looked good. Now wish I would have but oh well maybe I'll get luck...

What you think?

Sikaflex construction sealant available at the big box stores works wonders

I sealed up my new hood release cable with it after the rubber broke about 1 year after install

I've used a great polyurethane sealant called Vulkem 116. You may be able to source it locally or on line. Comes in many colors and is paintable as well. Stays flexible and is a great substitute for automotive seam sealer. Will bond metal, too. I've used it for 30 years at work and also on my auto projects. Super tough and durable.

Well went ahead and used whats left of my 3m urethane seam sealer and think I have everything filled up..lol...and sure nothing leaking but has not cured enough to check leak at hvac box at blower motor but sure it will be OK. Still going to try and get a wiring harness with a good seal for the kick panel/door just in case.

Just wanted to update...All leaks are now fixed...well covered with urethane sealant and direct spraying with water hose no water inside cab now.

Finally after a couple of months working on replacing/sealing the pans and all comes the fun of putting everything back in and trying to remember where I put all the damn screws!

Back