NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old November 12th, 2019, 15:21
NAXJA Forum User

2000 alignment issues

I bought a 2000 that's got 3" springs and a bastard pack in the back, adjustable track bar, and upper control arms. It's only been in my care for a little while, but it's got some wandering problems over 40ish mph.

I asked the desk at the local Belle Tire (closest thing to an alignment shop near me) if they would take the adjustable steering/suspension components into account when doing an alignment, and he acted like I'd started speaking another language...he finally got around to stating that given the correct camber/caster/toe - in they could do the alignment. Has anyone had any luck with a place like this?

Also I plan on telling them:
1/8" toe in
as close to 7 degrees caster as they can get
Not real sure what to tell them on camber, I didn't think that this changed

Anyway, does anyone know of any walk throughs, or how to's on setting my trackbar and control arms? I've never owned a Jeep with any of those parts, and I want to make sure they're all squared up before getting it aligned.
Old November 12th, 2019, 15:42
Freakish Hand Strength

Re: 2000 alignment issues

Most tire stores that perform alignments are helpless, clueless, and useless when dealing with anything other than a stock vehicle. You need to find a local 4x4 shop, or an old school frame and alignment shop with some gray haired old farts that know how stuff works.

On a lifted Cherokee, the front axle needs to balance caster against pinion angle. Typically you optimize the pinion angle so there are no drive line vibrations, and live with the caster angle at about 2*-5*. My 2000 has not been up on an alignment rack in at least 100,000 miles and the tires wear great and it drive/handles very well.

I would suggest you save money and set the toe-in yourself. Check for, or set, a decent pinion angle with control arms and call it a day.

The track bar centers the front axle under the body, you can check with a tape measure. Strap a short/straight metal tube to each tire and measure to the chromed shaft of the shock absorber on each side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyjer

Tim MAY be 100% correct, but why would a person automatically pick him as the expert .....

Last edited by Tim_MN; November 13th, 2019 at 04:39.
Old November 12th, 2019, 19:13
NAXJA Forum User

Call BS if they claim to have adjusted the camber. It might change a hair if you're adjusting castor, but it's otherwise not adjustable unless you're installing offset ball joints.
Old November 13th, 2019, 12:15
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_MN View Post
Most tire stores that perform alignments are helpless, clueless, and useless when dealing with anything other than a stock vehicle. You need to find a local 4x4 shop, or an old school frame and alignment shop with some gray haired old farts that know how stuff works.

On a lifted Cherokee, the front axle needs to balance caster against pinion angle. Typically you optimize the pinion angle so there are no drive line vibrations, and live with the caster angle at about 2*-5*. My 2000 has not been up on an alignment rack in at least 100,000 miles and the tires wear great and it drive/handles very well.

I would suggest you save money and set the toe-in yourself. Check for, or set, a decent pinion angle with control arms and call it a day.

The track bar centers the front axle under the body, you can check with a tape measure. Strap a short/straight metal tube to each tire and measure to the chromed shaft of the shock absorber on each side.
That's more or less what the internet has told me. When talking about driveline vibes, I'm assuming you're talking with the front shaft? I've got an SYE if that matters at all. Unfortunately I don't have a 4x4 shop near me, unless there's one that google didn't find, but I suppose youtube and I will just become better acquainted because I can't stand the wandering.