• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1994 xj 2.5 confused with distributor setting

AK47NA

NAXJA Forum User
1994 XJ, 2.5 L distributor setting

Hi, I'm new and writing from Holland. I need help setting the distributor after replacing the camshaft and lifters. I searched forums but got no further than references to the FSM. My problem is that I can't seem to picture the instructions in my mind. The 1994 FSM for the 2.5 liter engine says to locate the oil pump gear so the slot is slightly past the three o'clock position.

AF1QipN-dp5VhsF7tK1j3gdcEn6KvZmmKwxQoVhExBoF

I can't understand how to set the distributor to the 5 o'clock position and be able to mesh it to the 3 o'clock position on the oil pump gear so it finally sits at the 6 o'clock position when all is set.

AF1QipNLzC-Cn5P4LdlLo2skhGQJXOHPBAwKrah3ZtRa

Do I line up the brass part (yellow arow) of the rotor at the 5 o'clock position? Or do I line up the plastic part of the rotor (red arrow) to the 5 o'clock position?

AF1QipOFYa86XMbLIsuKDB6-p5p80kkolIcytiMLmW0u

And if I do line up the rotor to the 5 o'clock position, then the tip (blue arrow) doesn't line up to the 3 o'clock position of the oil pump gear.

Am I getting this right? How am I not understanding this? What am I missing here? Please help.

Welcome!

Because of the helical cut gears, the distributor will rotate as its installed.

The offset of 3 and 5 o'clock is to allow for the rotation and still have everything line up perfectly when installed.

Later models use a similar concept but have steps to lock the distributor shaft with a pin to keep it from turning. Does the 94 FSM say anything about this?

When pushed in, the hold down bolt should line up with the threads in the block. If not, then there was probably a misalignment.

With later model engines, 97+ the difference between 2.5 & 4.0 distributors is the helical gear on the distributor shaft is offset about half a spline different. If you've done everything else correctly and it still won't fit properly in the engine, then you probably have the wrong helical gear for your engine. Here in the U.S. the major reman supplier only has one part number for both the 2.5 & 4.0 engine!!

Thanks, @MD21722. I think I understand how the 5 o'clock offset allows for a bit of rotation when the distributor shaft is installed and the gear meshes with the crankshaft.

The distributor gear is clockwise and so when you push it down with a bit of twist, you end up in the 6 o'clock position. And because the tip of the shaft is now straight up and down (6 o'clock) it doesn't go into the oil pump gear which I set for 3 o'clock. This is the part that I don't get.

Am I missing something? This is the same distributor that I pulled out. And it's the same oil pump in the engine.

Another point I should include is that before I pulled out the distributor, I marked the position relative to the engine. It was pointed slightly past 6 o'clock. So that was what I initially set it during the re-install. However, I am not able to start the engine. So I thought maybe I set it wrong. But now the instructions from the FSM is confusing me.

There are some holes in the distributor that I could use a nail to pin it into place. I can do that. And the hold down bolt does line up with the threads in the block. But that still doesn't line the end of the distributor shaft if it points to the 5 o'clock position and the oil pump gear points to the 3 o'clock position.

I can't seem to picture this working.

I'd say your timing is off, either by adjustment of the ign sensor or 180* out on the exhaust stroke. Technically you could put the distributor gear in any position you want as long as you have the ign sensor/rotor/#1 spark plug wire all correctly timed together.

I'm also beginning to think that my timing is off by 180*. I will try to crank it manually one rotation of the crankshaft tomorrow. Maybe that will being me back to TDC on #1 at the ignition stroke. At least this way we can eliminate the possibility of the distributor being timed for the exhaust stroke. Thanks for the idea, @RCP Phx.

I did pull the distributor out again this afternoon (here in Holland) and realigned the distributor to the 3 o'clock position. This is also the #1 spark plug wire location. Then the FSM said to back off the rotor 1/8 of a rotation counterclockwise. With this setup, I was able to point the brass end of the rotor to #1 plug. It still didn't start but it cranked better than previously. So tomorrow I will see if the adjustment to 180* will finally get me a starting Jeep.

Thanks for all your insight. I made the mistake initially when I set TDC but did not determine if it was combustion or exhaust at cylinder #1. This is the reason why I was chasing the rabbit with the distributor. The engine didn't start because I was 180* out of sync - I had erroneously set TDC at the combustion stroke.

This morning, I set the timing to 0 then pulled the distributor out and then turned the crank one complete revolution back to TDC at 0*. This reset cylinder #1 to the combustion stroke.

And it runs!!! No leaks! I kept it running at >2000 rpms for 20 minutes to set the new lifters to the camshaft. I will drain the oil and change the filter. Then do this again after 500 miles (800 km).

Thanks for all your help. I hope this can be a reference for others with similar problems.

Back