• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ hub assembly

Yahooty

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,
I'm getting ready to replace the front hub assemblies on my 98 xj. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good (moderately priced) assembly.

Thanks in advance

You want Timken at any price.

I installed AutoZone hubs once due to being cheap.... 1 year and about 8k miles later, stock and no wheeling, it was replacement time. 2 years and 20k miles later on timken, lifted and multiple wheeling trips and still smooth sailing.I will buy nothing else, but your mileage may vary....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Anyone experience the recent QC issues with Timken hub assemblies? A bunch of reviews on Amazon describe non-matching pairs, leaking oil, and poor service life.

That info has got me planning on going SKF. Anyone here put Timkens on in the last few years and have them work trouble free?

From my end, it seems that the SKFs are a little cheaper and aren't causing people as much grief.

I have heard that people weren't getting actual timken bearings on Amazon. I got mine from Rock Auto 2.5 years ago and they've been great so far.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Anyone experience the recent QC issues with Timken hub assemblies? A bunch of reviews on Amazon describe non-matching pairs, leaking oil, and poor service life.

That info has got me planning on going SKF. Anyone here put Timkens on in the last few years and have them work trouble free?

From my end, it seems that the SKFs are a little cheaper and aren't causing people as much grief.

I had to stop and think about it, I installed Timkens in 2015. I was in a bind, so I went to Autozone. It was a pleasant surprise to see "Made in USA" Timken unit bearings when they brought them to me.

I bought timken 1-2years ago from rock auto I think. Two different hubs from timken factories arrived. Not yes, don't think that exists.

Timken or SKF. Rock Auto carries both at affordable prices. Don't cheap out on the Autozone or Oriley's ones. Been there done that :( Unsure of NAPA's quality at this time I know they've gone the way of Autozone and the like sourcing some parts from the same factorys the other big box stores get theirs from.

It's hard to keep up anymore stores switch suppliers faster than we can figure out where the parts are coming from and it seems like QC is all over the place.

I installed moog 5 years ago because they had the best warranty at the time but checking now RAYBESTOS R line have a lift time warranty and they are cheaper then timken or SKF . the warranty is some thing I always look at timken only has a 12 months and SKF has a 36 months /45,000 miles . just my 2cent

Appreciate the input. I'd rather have a solid product then have to deal with replacing a piece warranty, but can appreciate a manufacturer standing behind their product. Reminds me of a green battery I bought that had a five year warranty but couldn't last one...

I run the O'Reilly Precision premium hubs. No issues

+ Timken. Regardless of what you get make sure you torque it down to spec. 175 ft/lb I believe. Failure to get torqued correctly will lead to premature failure.

Back