• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What length shocks do I need for 8+ inch lift?

XJguy

NAXJA Forum User
What length shocks do I need for 8+ inch lift? The + is because its a new setup and I have shackles so I imagine its over 8. Thanks

XJguy

I would guess to say that they are close being between 27.5"-29" extended but your going to have to measure it out. Juice

need to know!

Aww c'mon.....thing is, stuff is still in pieces but I want to get all the parts here ASAP that way I can account for any delays or unforseen problema. I know lots of you big dogs are running 8"+. Im looking into Bilstein 5150 series, so my choices for extended length are 25.91, 27.99, or 29.70. I think below and above those are just clearly off. Help appreciated.

XJguy

There is no set length depending on lift. Every rig is going to have a different amount of articulation. Flex it out and get your collapsed and extended measurements, then find a shock that will give you what lengths you need.

You've been on this board for how long? And how many thousands of posts have we seen about shock lengths? And what is the answer that is always given? (I believe it's a few replies up)

If you're in that much of a crunch, forget bilsteins. Get your junk put together and buy some ranchos from your local parts store, they'll have 'em next day. Or go ahead and order up those 14"er's from Mad4wd and make 'em work. Do you know how to weld and bend tube?

One more Q ?

Do I know how to weld and bend tube he asks.....ha!

I know its a newb question, but if its been done so many times why should I go and do it again.

Thanks for the tips fellas.

One other thing, do you use the same PN for front and the rear?

XJguy

What shock mounting locations are you using?

this and that

RCP Phx said:
What shock mounting locations are you using?

In the rear I am relocating the lower shock mount further up on the axle, on top stock bar pin.

In front I will make an adpater for the eye on top and I might move the mount on axle further out to avoid contact with the frame at full extension.

XJguy

Back