• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New guy, help with Daily driver

Alwinearcher

NAXJA Forum User
Im a little hesitant to post after seeing this...

"Some people just can't tell the difference between a noob, and a dumbass noob, and then there's the worst - the belligerent dumbass noob..."

But I am going to go ahead anyways.

I want to put a lift on my 95 cherokee and gets some bigger wheels and tires, but I dont really know the first thing about any of this.

From what I have been reading and seeing I was thinking like a 4" or 5" lift and maybe some 33" tires? Can this be done without having to modify the fenders?
I was also reading about needing to modify the steering so it can handle the bigger tires?
I dont plan on doign to much insane stuff with it, but have gone some kinda crazy places when Elk hunting.... I Bow hunt all over the western states and want something that can get me back in where i want to go, and look good at the same time...
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Also, what am i looking at as far as cost for a lift, wheels, tires and whatever else i might need.
Matt

Stick around the boards for a week and you'll see all those questions answered. ;)

Send me a private message and I'll chat with you sometime this week if you like. Where in WA are you? I'm in Kent.

ECKSJAY said:
Stick around the boards for a week and you'll see all those questions answered. ;)

Send me a private message and I'll chat with you sometime this week if you like. Where in WA are you? I'm in Kent.

I tried to PM you, but cant get it to work right now for some reason.
I am on the east side, just north of spokane.
does the cost of what has to be done to the vehicle go way up when you step up to 33"s from 31"?

Alwinearcher said:
I tried to PM you, but cant get it to work right now for some reason.
I am on the east side, just north of spokane.
does the cost of what has to be done to the vehicle go way up when you step up to 33"s from 31"?

Basically you're looking at a big bog in power when you jump from 31 to 33 due to gear ratios. Personally I like the 3.5" and 31s stage until a guy can afford gears and 33s. It's real easy to upgrade to adequately handle the 33s from 3.5".

I'm sure Sniggs will chime in about his 99 XJ with the RE 3.5" and Old Man Emu shocks. :) I want that Jeep. :D

Sorry guys, I just noticed this thread...
"Newbies, we love you, look here before posting. "
I am a long time member of alot of archery forums, and i know how annoying us newbs can be... sorry for all the ?s.

So what do you think a ruff cost on going to 33"s with a lift would be?
I feel like such a dork:hang:

Alwinearcher said:
Sorry guys, I just noticed this thread...
"Newbies, we love you, look here before posting. "
I am a long time member of alot of archery forums, and i know how annoying us newbs can be... sorry for all the ?s.

So what do you think a ruff cost on going to 33"s with a lift would be?
I feel like such a dork:hang:

Dude, don't feel like a dork. You don't need big lift and big tires for your Daily Driver. Mine's a 99 4 door with the RE6030 Superlift 3.5", OME Shocks, running with 31s. Excellent on and off road.

Start with something to drive. Then let it grow.

Evans Creek, WA
site1283.jpg

Naches, WA
20szuaw.jpg

Tillamook State Forest, OR
20szul2.jpg

Welcome aboard!! :guitar:

Thanks guy.
I am guessing thats what I will end up doing.
I have never been good at "baby steps" though, when I dont go all out the first time I always end up wanting to step up real soon after. so i end up paying for it all twice:eek:

What about this. would you all rather have a Manual or Automatic? I have a Manual but was planning on swapping jeeps with my dad because his is a Manual.....

a little over $2000.00 for 4.5" lift and 33" tires and rims installed. power is still there. plan on trimming the fenders if yur gonna wheel it.

Last edited:
Alwinearcher said:
Thanks guy.
I am guessing thats what I will end up doing.
I have never been good at "baby steps" though, when I dont go all out the first time I always end up wanting to step up real soon after. so i end up paying for it all twice:eek:

What about this. would you all rather have a Manual or Automatic? I have a Manual but was planning on swapping jeeps with my dad because his is a Manual.....

Huh?

Most guys run an auto, just for the simplicity of it. I run an AX15. Don't have any trouble with it. Its more of a challenge IMO to wheel with one. Plus the stick has a better 1st gear ratio than an automatic. It all depends on how you want it, and the terrain you have on the other side of the mountians. Try your stick for a while, if you don't like it, switch over. Im keeping my stick, until I can't stand it anymore.

12GaugeXJ said:
Huh?

Most guys run an auto, just for the simplicity of it. I run an AX15. Don't have any trouble with it. Its more of a challenge IMO to wheel with one. Plus the stick has a better 1st gear ratio than an automatic. It all depends on how you want it, and the terrain you have on the other side of the mountians. Try your stick for a while, if you don't like it, switch over. Im keeping my stick, until I can't stand it anymore.

My jeep seems to have a real high 1st gear.
When I got it someone had just swaped a engine into it from a auto, could that have changed the gearing in it some how?

As far as fender trimming, "if I want to be wheeling"?:eek: whats wheeling?:eek:

Alwinearcher said:
My jeep seems to have a real high 1st gear.
When I got it someone had just swaped a engine into it from a auto, could that have changed the gearing in it some how?

As far as fender trimming, "if I want to be wheeling"?:eek: whats wheeling?:eek:

The engine won't have anything to do with gearing. The AX15 tranny has a 3.83:1 first gear ratio, as opposed to the 2.80:1 for the AW4.

Wheelin? Four wheelin. Going out on the trail, and abusing your rig.

12GaugeXJ said:
The engine won't have anything to do with gearing. What year is your rig?

Wheelin? Four wheelin. Going out on the trail, and abusing your rig.

I figured that was what was implied by wheelin.... but since I am starting from the bottom I better double check.

So when I trim my fenders will I need new bigger flares? I am guessing so?

mojojojo said:
a little over $2000.00 for 4.5" lift and 33" tires and rims installed. power is still there. plan on trimming the fenders if yur gonna wheel it.

Would steering modifications be included in that estimate? What changes need to be made to the steering to handle the 33”s and 4.5” lift?

Rev Den said:
I am at 4" with 33's. No steering mods.

Rev

how does it handle and drive?
Did you have to trim alot off the fenders?

Thanks everyone for the fast responses and help. I have been reading all I can on this sight and am learning lots fast... This place is great!

Rev, Do you have a picture of your jeep?

Just do some research and spend lots of time studying the engineering principals of your Jeep before throwing money at it. A big and poorly bought Jeep will always be passed by a smaller, well engineered Jeep.

Alwinearcher said:
how does it handle and drive?
Did you have to trim alot off the fenders?

Thanks everyone for the fast responses and help. I have been reading all I can on this sight and am learning lots fast... This place is great!

Rev, Do you have a picture of your jeep?

It handles and drives fine, it was my DD for many years. I had to cut a bunch out of the fenders in front, and bang the heck out of the back fender to minimize rubbing.
rev.jpg

Rev

Back