• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heavy Steering

nrwphoto

NAXJA Forum User
How heavy does your steering feel?

I owned a 98' for a decade but it has been gone for about 5 years now. Since then I have had Subaru's, my wife's Honda and an F150 that was over assisted. The steering on this new to me 01' XJ feels very heavy, enough that I can not easily steer with one hand without losing friction and sliding my hand on the steering wheel. The feel does not change for RPM or speed.

Am I just used to lighter, newer cars or is my pump weak? I tried searching and only found threads talking about the WJ pump swap which seams like it is for much larger tires.

For reference it currently has 235/75R15 on American Racing wheels (less back spacing). I have a set of 16" Icons in the garage waiting for tires.
Thanks

Firstly i would jack the front up, and check for any resistance in full lock to lock with no load. Unfortunately all the geometry changes whilst jacked up. But if there is resistance..... you know it's in the steering etc. Put some stock wheels on the front and test drive with them on.

Firstly i would jack the front up, and check for any resistance in full lock to lock with no load. Unfortunately all the geometry changes whilst jacked up. But if there is resistance..... you know it's in the steering etc. Put some stock wheels on the front and test drive with them on.

if lifting by the front axle, the geometry doesn't change at all. all weight is still still on front axle, making all geometry identical to if it was sitting on the ground.

agree, something is causing your steering to be tight. jack it up and cycle it around. look/feel for popping and tension in the links and ends. you could also disconnect the driver side drag link TRE to see if its better or worse.

Everything is greased up well and I am not seeing excess play in anything. Perhaps it is the PS pump. When I first bought this Jeep last month the PS fluid looked horrible, like chocolate milk. I sucked all the fluid out and replaced it. Drove it for a bit and repeated. Looks normal now, but I am sure that wasn't good for the pump.

Need to head to the JY for a new compressor so I'll keep an eye open for a replacement.

I would vote PS pump.
Do NOT buy an AGR ie Steerco pump nor gearbox. They are total junk, three failed pumps in short order, one lasted less than 20 miles, the gearbox was dead on arrival. They refused a refund, the owner Josh lied to me on the phone, charged my credit card more than the invoice. He is a crook. Fortunately I was able to challenge the credit card payment with Master Card, and won, didnt owe the crook a dime when done, Right now his crap gearbox is a door stop. his pump in a junk pile.

Got a NAPA autoparts rebuilt stock pump, and a Dodge Durrango gear box from a wrecking yard (bigger more powerful than stock, direct bolt in). 1000s of trouble free miles, turning 33 inch x 12.5 inch off road tires. also installed a steering fluid cooler, and inline Magnafine filter on the fluid return line to assure clean cool fluid. happy as a clam now. Regret wasting all that install and replacement time spent on AGR Steerco junk parts and Josh's lies, and crooked business dealings. What a headache.

While at the JY looking for an A/C compressor I decided to try out the WJ pump I read some people talk about. There is no difference at all in the weight of the steering and now the pump whines like crazy. Fluid looks alright, I don't think it's from air. Frustrating.

No Durangos at the local yards so no cheap boxes to be had.

Back