NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > JeepSpeed, Prerunner and Competition Tech Forum
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

JeepSpeed, Prerunner and Competition Tech Forum For Discussion of Modications related to Prerunning, JeepSpeed, KOH, Rock Racing, and any other speed based competitions

Old April 19th, 2008, 15:18
NAXJA Forum User

prerunner/ jeepspeed build ideas...

I have a 97 cherokee that I love but would love to go fast and get some air time... I know some of what I need to do this but here is what I have so far... I have an re short arm kit with re 4.5" springs up front and aal and shackles out back with a bb to a total of about 6". I run a d44 out back and have some 33s. now here is where the fun begins...

I was thinking of going with the foa adjustable shocks with remote res all the way around(but what size???)

some hydro bumps( I was thinking the foa 4" possibly..??)

some new springs out back, but what ones. I know the deavers are sweet but they are spendy and this will be a daily driver and wheeling and sometimes pulling a 3 place motorcycle trailer so what other springs could I use?

I know frame stiffners and truss the axles

I know long arms are best but could I use some drop brackets and brace them up instead(im on a budget)?

Thats all I can think of right noww.
This wont happen really soon I just need a goal to slowly build to but thanks guys
Old April 19th, 2008, 15:21
NAXJA Forum User

Re: prerunner/ jeepspeed build ideas...

don't do it...you've got too nice of a looking rig to do that to it
Old April 19th, 2008, 15:53
NAXJA Forum User

It is really not that nice looking up close ha ha
Old April 19th, 2008, 21:08
NAXJA Forum User

Solid axle rigs are really not that greatly suited to be doing that prerunner type stuff. It would take a lot of work to get these things to really take the jumps like a champ. I'd build up a ranger or something like that with IFS, but if you do decide to try and make your jeep competent I'd defiantly be trussing the hell out of my axles and planning on installing a roll cage.
Old April 19th, 2008, 21:39
NAXJA Forum User

I'm running FOA 10s up front limit strapped and 16's in the rear resevoirs which i like alot. Think about trussing and gusseting the axles definatly run air bumps im getting the FOA 2.5 bumps also all around. Im running rubicon leafs for now till i can get deavers in the future. You'll defintaly want deaver coil springs.
Old April 19th, 2008, 22:36
NAXJA Forum User

We are actually planning an I beam ranger build but I want to wheel and go fast and daily drive one vehicle. So with 5 to 6 inches of lift would the 10s and 16 inch shocks be ok? I don't plan on racing this so rules are not a priority. I plan a cage. So what about drop brackets?
Old April 19th, 2008, 23:16
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oo7ravisXJ
Solid axle rigs are really not that greatly suited to be doing that prerunner type stuff. It would take a lot of work to get these things to really take the jumps like a champ. I'd build up a ranger or something like that with IFS, but if you do decide to try and make your jeep competent I'd defiantly be trussing the hell out of my axles and planning on installing a roll cage.
Watch a Jeepspeed race. SFA rigs do just fine.
Old April 20th, 2008, 07:14
NAXJA Forum User

i've seen other xj's get built for jeepspeed. there's a few on pirate. basically they did what's already been said. a really good roll cage, air shocks, bump stops, limit straps, etc. i think one of the one's on pirate is actually a 2wd...
Old April 20th, 2008, 10:21
NAXJA Forum User

Start with TnT frame stifeners tied to Lafortune's front frame plates, he offers two different thickness' depending on what you want (http://www.temper-mentalracing.net/services.htm). after the "frame" is taken care of then go to the other stuff. Depending how hard you beat it and jump it you will tear it apart.

Then go to axle trussing and shocks. The 16's Craig has are run through the floor to a shock hoop and 16's are perfect because you get alot more fluid to help with cooling. Don't look at just wheel travel in the back if using a hoop. Bigger is better. Other than that.....you are off to a good start and DB's will workk fine for now.
Old April 20th, 2008, 11:07
NAXJA Forum User

Check this out. Swbooking has a custom XJ front wishbone suspension for sale. He has pics on the 2nd page of the thread. What do you jeepspeed guys think of that?

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=944875

Last edited by ManBearPig; April 20th, 2008 at 11:42.
Old April 20th, 2008, 11:32
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oo7ravisXJ
ORLY

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RfS9zdVjGh4
Old April 20th, 2008, 12:16
NAXJA Forum User

Any good pics or links to a mild shock hoop in the rear? I still would like to have it sealed and be able to sleep in the back. Thanks guys
Old April 20th, 2008, 14:10
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcpunk74
Any good pics or links to a mild shock hoop in the rear? I still would like to have it sealed and be able to sleep in the back. Thanks guys
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=950855
Old April 20th, 2008, 17:57
NAXJA Forum User

manbearpig - good episode
that is by far the best name i have seen
Old April 23rd, 2008, 01:16
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoMoCo
I'm pretty sure they put "a lot of work" into those rigs to get them "to really take the jumps like a champ."