• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heat problem

victor_s

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced the thermostat and now i get no heat in my jeep. And it keeps blowing gaskets, i went through already two thermostat gaskets and it keeps leaking on me, The bolts are as tight as they can be. Little drops come out of the bottom.

Sounds like the thermo housing is cracked.
I've done it.
Not sure why no heat unless coolant is THAT low from the leaking..

use some RTV on the gasket before you put it on.

are you making sure both surfaces are completely free of previous gasket material?

I see no physical cracks and the coolant is still up there, not as much but still up there. Ill try again with some gasket sealer.

You may have warped the housing. Try working it on a flat surface with emery cloth/sand paper. It may not be cracked but it may be uneven enough that it wont seal.

dont mean to insult your intelligence, but are you putting your gasket on the wrong side of the t-stat? it doesnt seal up that way, ask me how i know!

Shorty said:
thermostat in backwards? spring should go toward engine and bridge toward radiator.

X2

Set it on a flat surface, perferably like a slab of glass, or a glass table. It should be pretty obvious if its warped or not. You could also have a hairline crack that isnt visible to your eye. I would say check for flatness, and use a light amount of RTV with a new gasket and tighten to spec. If it still leaks, replace the housing.

You never said the year of your Jeep... is it a RENIX by chance? If so its very likely that you have trapped air in your system causing the no heat condition. If your 91+ that shouldnt be an issue.

I also am assuming that you flushed your system before you installed the new thermostat?? You didnt state that. If you did, its possible that during the flush you pushed something into your heater core and now its clogged up. You want to flush your system as a whole FIRST, then flush the heater core. If its all connected, an easy test is to touch both the lines close to the heater core and see what temperature they are (when the engine is at operating temp and being CAREFULL) If one of the hoses is hot ( i believe the top one will be hot) and the other is lukewarm or cool to the touch, then your heater core is the prime suspect.

I hope that helps.

Back