NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old January 11th, 2010, 16:24
NAXJA Forum User

87 cherokee water line?

Ok im wanting to know theres a line on the side of the resovoir tank it comes out to a like y fitting it has a plastic piece and right also attatched to it theres a sort of round canister that has like mabye a vac line to it..the line that has a small plastic piece broke where the plastic piece is its about a 3/4 line the one coming from resivoir what is the little plastic connector piece can it be deleted it has an arrow on it..thanks for any help.
Old January 11th, 2010, 16:39
NAXJA Forum User

Re: 87 cherokee water line?

Heater valve sounds like. Sure you wanna remove it?
Old January 11th, 2010, 16:48
NAXJA Forum User

Well the little black fitting with arrow broke and looks like all the fittings are not made to be switched out so looked like you need whole new hose all way to thermostat houseing so i was thinking about cutting the metal line thats right past the plastic fitting and rehooking with clamp but looks like you would also loose that valve think with the vac hose hooked to it what does that do?you would still be running to resovoir..
Old January 11th, 2010, 16:52
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris y View Post
Well the little black fitting with arrow broke and looks like all the fittings are not made to be switched out so looked like you need whole new hose all way to thermostat houseing so i was thinking about cutting the metal line thats right past the plastic fitting and rehooking with clamp but looks like you would also loose that valve think with the vac hose hooked to it what does that do?you would still be running to resovoir..
You can use a hack saw to cut off the factory crimped clamps then just use screw clamps. Looks like this?

Old January 11th, 2010, 16:54
Gone but not forgotten...

heater control valve opens and allows coolant to flow into the heater core for heat. It also closes and blocks the flow when air conditioning is selected. It should be removable and readily available in the aftermarket for replacement. I'd say keep it there to simplify the changing of hoses (less rearranging and creating of a coolant tree)
Old January 11th, 2010, 16:57
NAXJA Forum User

Yes thats the pic that plastic piece where the arrow is broke so i had thought of hacksawing it right after the valce and hose clamping it but didnt know what valve was so your saying cut it off and you can buy that unit without the hoses and clamp it?or can you just delete it?
Old January 11th, 2010, 16:59
NAXJA Forum User

And thanks for you guys help and replys specially cause im new to the xj scene..and its not a dd..
Old January 11th, 2010, 17:00
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Yes thats the pic that plastic piece where the arrow is broke so i had thought of hacksawing it right after the valce and hose clamping it but didnt know what valve was so your saying cut it off and you can buy that unit without the hoses and clamp it?or can you just delete it?
Yes you can get an aftermarket one and just cut the crimped clamps off and use screw clamps. I'd keep it for the reasons above.
Old January 11th, 2010, 17:01
NAXJA Forum User

So like from a parts store?or i guess salvage yard but they would prob be brittle as well..
Old January 11th, 2010, 17:05
NAXJA Forum User

i'd get a new one. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...questid=750814 $30 at Autozone.
Old January 11th, 2010, 18:10
NAXJA Forum User

Well i guess i will be heading to parts store for it..man that stinks just replaced the resevoir and water pump then the valve got hit and broke
Old January 11th, 2010, 18:18
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Well i guess i will be heading to parts store for it..man that stinks just replaced the resevoir and water pump then the valve got hit and broke
Better than blew out driving some remote stretch I guess.
Old January 11th, 2010, 18:27
NAXJA Forum User

True that specially since it started out as a 200 cherokee and now have tons in it and havent ever drove it around the block yet..
Old January 11th, 2010, 19:02
NAXJA Forum User

I like buying and fixing up XJ's but you don't make money doing it. I just hate to see them go to the junkyard.
Old January 11th, 2010, 19:59
NAXJA Forum User

Well mine is clean i did some tradeing for it and odometer says 369000 pretty crazy..now it sports a 8.5 lift..if i can take care of all these small bugs..