• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

POS steering box spacer (Beware-Jeep rant)

Roxtar

NAXJA Forum User
So, I'm in the middle of a bumper install on a nice '01 XJ. I'm putting on the side frame plates when the 3rd steering box bolt breaks off. This is a grade 8 bolt on a 3 year old vehicle that I broke with a standard size 3/8" drive ratchet without working up a sweat. When I pulled the steering box to the side I see that the corrosion caused by the aluminum spacer mating to the steel bolt ate away a good portion of the bolt. The spacer, meanwhile, had broken apart and was valiantly attempting to become one with the broken off stud. It took a 2 foot pipe wrench to free it's grasp on said bolt.
What the hell was Jeep thinking using an aluminum spacer in this application. Not only is aluminum very susceptable to crushing but whenever you mate it to steel and add water you get corrosion, lots of corrosion. Corrosion that eats away steel bolts and make them break easily. Corrosion that seriously f***s up my day.
Thanks, I feel better now.

C-rok's set-up is extremely nice and he's also got the replacement bracket!
insideplate200.jpg

I second the C-ROK plates. Good solid product and cheap insurance so hopefully you wont have major problems later on down the road. I have them installed on my XJ just for that purpose.

AARON

I've got Hinkley's (okay, so it USED to be his....) SBS on my XJ. Good kit, and no spacer necessary.

No time to buy one. Had to take a piece of 3/4" steel plate to the Bridgeport. Took about 1.5 hrs. to cut, drill & mill.

MrShoeBoy said:
I second the C-ROK plates. Good solid product and cheap insurance so hopefully you wont have major problems later on down the road. I have them installed on my XJ just for that purpose.
AARON[/QUOT

Yet another satisfied C-Rok customer. I put the full kit on that braces both sides of, & under the steering box. Great customer service too, sent me an xtra Stering box bolt after I jacked 1 up.

Rob

Both the SBS and the C-ROK braces are top notch items... and address a seriously weak area of the XJ.

I went with the C-ROK for three reasons...

1. available locally with no shipping
2. getting things welded onto my junk is problematic.
3.my junk could become Real Junk at any time, and I'd like to export any surviving goodies onto the next junk.

Will the C-Rok work with one of those steering box braces that go to the otehr side of the frame and connect to the steering shaft housing?

That aluminum spacer bugs me - didn't realize it was there.

r@m

Root Moose said:
Will the C-Rok work with one of those steering box braces that go to the otehr side of the frame and connect to the steering shaft housing?

That aluminum spacer bugs me - didn't realize it was there.

r@m

Yes. I have a CROK plate and a steering box brace setup just like that.

CROK plate (modified a little):
IMG_0027.sized.jpg

Steering box brace across frame rails:
IMG_0039.sized.jpg

xtremewlr said:
Yes. I have a CROK plate and a steering box brace setup just like that.

Cool.

Thanks.

r@m

Could loose or broken steering box bolts cause death wobble?

Back