• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Durango steering box?

PNWXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Looking on JU a while ago I saw a post of someone "saying" that a Durango steering box will fit on the XJ without modification. And also they got the info from here! Does anyone KNOW if this is true or is it typical JU shit...

It was also said that it was a stronger box and comperable to the real J20 box but easier to get.

Thanks for any info on this shady subject you have.

Tim

Saginaw steering boxes are used just about everywhere. This is good in that you can get them at the yards all day long.

As for the Dodge box, I dont know if it's any stronger my guess is probably not but it's probably geared differently than your XJ box. That could be good OR bad.

The real question is, why do you think you need a stronger steering box? Are you running huge tires? Have you busted your sector shaft yet? Probably not. The XJ 'frame' will rip open before the steering box breaks, most likely.

Thanks! I did try the search but for some reason me and the search dont work well together:twak:

I need yet another box for mine and if its the same price yhy not upgrade it?

Tim

Hey Weasel-
was the box you looked at one with the snow plow package? I searched www.car-part.com and it showed 2 different ones. Just currious to see if both are the bigger 3.5 size or just the snow plow version...and damn they want a fortune for some of them!

Tim

What benafits are there with the swap? Will it make turning easier with big tires? I'm looking to make the 35's a little easier to turn and if this helps maybe I won't have to go hydro assist yet.

CW. said:
What benafits are there with the swap? Will it make turning easier with big tires? I'm looking to make the 35's a little easier to turn and if this helps maybe I won't have to go hydro assist yet.

LOL!

Jeez you are having a hard time turning 35s with power steering?
heres better Idea.

scrap the steering box upgrade, take the money and buy yourself some weights or a pass to a GYM!

WIMP.:D

KarmirXJ said:
LOL!

Jeez you are having a hard time turning 35s with power steering?
heres better Idea.

scrap the steering box upgrade, take the money and buy yourself some weights or a pass to a GYM!

WIMP.:D

I was thinking more about when the wheels are wedged into a rut or up against a rock or something.:rolleyes:
It actually does pretty well on the road.

Some people actually WHEEL their rigs Karmir, and with a fully stuffed & fully drooped front axle like out in Truckhaven, turning 35's is alot harder than your "buff" a$$ can imagine. It took all I could give it to make it around 4 or 5 good bends with no PS & fully articulated. Get that thing out of the garage & try mall cruising with no PS, that'll be kindof the same thing. :D

vintagespeed said:
Some people actually WHEEL their rigs Karmir, and with a fully stuffed & fully drooped front axle like out in Truckhaven, turning 35's is alot harder than your "buff" a$$ can imagine. It took all I could give it to make it around 4 or 5 good bends with no PS & fully articulated. Get that thing out of the garage & try mall cruising with no PS, that'll be kindof the same thing. :D

gawd, I know what he was talking about.

I was just pullin his leg, clam down guys :rolleyes:

i put the durango non snowplowing box up to the holes from the stock steering didnt work thinkin of using a snowplow equiped box to use with a hydraulic ram to make a hydraulic assist cheap any ideas on boxs

Back