• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine noise

2T2-Crash

NAXJA Forum User
I'm sure this title is worn out but I'm hoping it's a tad different.

Sounds like it's coming from the rear of the 4.0 engine bay. It's not a tap, nor a knock. The sound doesnt seem to speed up or change in sound level with rpm increase or decrease. Its a steady rattling sound and is definitely louder underneath the vehicle and it doesn't sound like an exhaust leak, the key point being that when my son puts the vehicle in gear (reverse or drive) the sound gets noticeably quieter, it almost goes away.

I've done a LOT of work on my old 87 XJ but the transmission and lower end of the engine I have not messed with.

What should I be looking for? :dunno:

oh, also: 95 Cherokee Country, automatic transmission.

engine has 225k miles, transmission is a used replacement with 130k on it roughly.

Timely subject. I have exactly the same scenario and figured it's my flex plate bolts. Plan is for tomorrow to check and make sure that's the issue. Ran out of red loctite myself so need to pick some up.

Timely subject. I have exactly the same scenario and figured it's my flex plate bolts. Plan is for tomorrow to check and make sure that's the issue. Ran out of red loctite myself so need to pick some up.

Couldn't figure out how to edit my own post so I'd like to retract my statement of using red loctite. This subject like so many on forums is very divided. My opinion is to follow the FSM and use blue loctite. If you were to buy new flexplate to converter bolts from MOPAR they would also have blue thread locker. Doesn't matter the brand you use just be sure it's medium strength. To each there own, and if you do use red it won't be the end of the world, just not nessasary.

Back