• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto Trans output seal, leaking again?

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced my trans seal with a napa part about 1.5yr ago and it's now leaking again. I know it's not the TC because I added dye to it.

My question is why would this be happening so soon?

the bushing in front of the seal needs replaced with the seal. It is probably worn and caused the last failure..unless you've lifted the Jeep and the shaft is not as long now needed is why most use a S.Y.E after a lift with aftermarket drive shafts.

the bushing in front of the seal needs replaced with the seal. It is probably worn and caused the last failure..unless you've lifted the Jeep and the shaft is not as long now needed is why most use a S.Y.E after a lift with aftermarket drive shafts.

How does that impact a rear tranny seal which is before the TC adapter and the TC itself??? I do agree on the possibility of the bushing though!

I have not pulled the adapter off ever, your saying there's a seal before the output seal that goes on the transfer case side?
What is that part called and might anyone have a part number ?

Da xj nut is referring to the tail shaft housing bronze bushing that the drive shaft slip yoke runs on. But not your issue as you have SYE.
Maybe your input shaft on your t case is scored at the sealing area and thus leaks. Try polishing the scratches when you replace the seal and get a good seal brand. also check the seal bore for nicks from prying old seal out.

Also, a different brand seal or not fully seating it when installing can shift the sealing surface just enough to avoid the scored sealing surface.

Da xj nut is referring to the tail shaft housing bronze bushing that the drive shaft slip yoke runs on. But not your issue as you have SYE.
Maybe your input shaft on your t case is scored at the sealing area and thus leaks. Try polishing the scratches when you replace the seal and get a good seal brand. also check the seal bore for nicks from prying old seal out.

I would look at this, but I had added dye to the fluid to identify if this was tranny or tc leak. the fluid is not glowing in the uv light so im under the impression that this must be leaking from the transmission outputseal/adapter housing.

Here's my 2000 with the t-case adapter removed, I thought you were talking about the seal and bushing behind the speedo reluctor ring for the speedo. Whether you have a sye makes no difference!
P1080784(1).JPG

Am I see open cavities on the bottom of the adapter mounting side. Would this then wep oil onto the transmission pan? If so I do not have that happening.

There are two seals there. One on the trans side and one on the xfer case side. If you have anything coming out of that gap, then one of the other is leaking.

Ok, I'm looking for output seals but nothing shows a diagroof one before the tcase adapter. If that one was leaking, is it externally serviceable?

Can anyone give me a part number if you know it please? The only output seal I come up with is the one that is on the adapter facing the transfer case

You added dye to the xfer case, right? Have you tested the xfer case oil to confirm that your light makes it glow? Wouldn't be the first time the dye or the cheap chinese uv light sucked.

You added dye to the xfer case, right? Have you tested the xfer case oil to confirm that your light makes it glow? Wouldn't be the first time the dye or the cheap chinese uv light sucked.

I dumped the transmission fluid and transfer case fluid today, the T-case was a little murky looking and I pulled a chunk of what looks to be RTV out from the drain plug. I could tell there was still dye in the T-case fluid but it kinda collected together but it did glow.

Back