• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 XJ upgrading from closed to open system

crispyluck

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going from the stock system to the Mishimoto radiator if possible. I watched a few videos on retrofitting the closed system to open, has anyone run into huge fitment problems with it?

If your asking about physical size, they are very close to each other.

Yeah, that's pretty much what i was wondering. After adding a trans cooler and needing to add an electric fan, I was wondering if I'd have to move anything else. It's a tight fit with all the stock stuff, and since the cores on the Mishimoto are larger (and its $450) it was worth asking around. It's hard to find the right posts using the search bar, but I'm new on here.

Not sure why a mishmoto is wanted. I saw no reason to buy it over anything else

Mines just a cheap ebay special. I fabbed the stand pipe from the water pump and also fabbed some kinda adapter due to 2 different size hoses. I think the plumbing store would have stuff to adapt hose sizes.

Good luck and just tear into it and make it work

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

I don't really have the know-how to fab a lot of stuff. I don't want to overcomplicate the upgrade, I know I'm paying out the ass but I like how little I'd have to modify with it.

Post up some photos of everything when you’re done. I have an 89 and need a radiator. I haven’t decided to go to the open system but I should. Just haven’t seen enough for the older Jeeps.

Ill get some pictures and reremember what all I did.
You can run a sledge hammer so you can do this. Gaining the radiator cap is worth it

https://imgur.com/a/JJM7F7h Here are some preliminary photos of my old hoses. The new radiator is set to arrive today. I took Evan03 's advice and bought this radiator: https://www.ebay.com/itm/293793929671 (3-Row Aluminum Radiator for 91-05 Cherokee). I chose it because it looks like you don't have to add a bung for the electric fan's temp switch or change what year thermostat housing you use. I was going to rewatch BleepinJeep's video on it to remember if anything else is needed. Got a few days off so it looks like I'm getting started earlier than I planned.

So I'm practically finished, just had two days off where I knocked out 95% of it. I have a loose transmission fluid line that I need to tighten, I discovered a leak halfway through burping the new system.

You'll basically want to follow BleepinJeep's videos on this, but ignore all of that electric fan temp switch stuff and keep the original thermostat housing. I chose a 195 thermostat, but he recommends the 180. If you want a timer for the EC fan, add it in later. I updated my water pump and lower hose at the same time.

The heater core hoses were awful to get off, and there's a fitment issue with the new rad cap on the rad shroud. I dremeled off a small section to make room, and it fits nice and snug. I couldn't get the connections off my condenser (where it attaches to the rad) but they're both so connected that I'm not worried. Make sure you have all FOUR rubber isolators on the rad, buy lots of clamps.

And make sure when you route the hoses you notice that it goes 3/4 on therm--->5/8 on heater core, 5/8 on water pump---> 3/4 on heater core to get the correct flow pressure.

We'll see if any issues come up, and I'll post some pictures by Monday. So far so good. I also replaced my motor mounts and idler pulley since everything was basically apart. You could do a lot in tandem with this repair since it's so extensive. Time it well and get a major upgrade out of it.

Nope! I had to buy a new trans line quick disconnect fitting where it runs into the radiator cause mine busted on the reinstall. So, she's dead till later today when the part arrives. Nothing wrong that I can see except the trans fluid leak.

Whoops.

It's an overflow from a 91 XJ, I zip tied it to the red aftermarket fuse that was added when I did the power cable upgrade. That is secured to the fuse bracket with the yellow covers. On the other side, I zip tied it to one of the heater hoses. I found a nice spot that it 85% fits in, but if that engine ever gets pulled out I'm moving it against either the firewall (goodbye cruise control that never worked) or the pass. quarter panel. I think in the '91s its in the same spot but rotated 90 degrees.

Idk
Ive got 2 rigs with no catch bottle and I smashed my cummins catch bottle with a ratchet when I started truck. Ratchet Was on alternator nut. Ratchet also took radiator shroud out on ots way then smashed thr bottle and spum the nut off the alternator pulley.

Was using the alternator to turn motor over to get to tourqe converter bolts.

Rigs that run hot need a bottle itl push coolant to bottle then be able to pull it back

That's awesome. Mine runs hot, with its big dumb lift kit and some oil pressure issues. But you, sir, saved me a few hundred bucks with that ebay radiator suggestion. I owe you a beer someday.

I think my favorite part of working on cars is how forgiving they can be.

Back