• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 Cherokee only floor vents work

Ddurr92

NAXJA Forum User
Been searching up and down. Only can find defrost and floor vents. Mine only does floor vents. I hear the door make a pop out slamming sound when turning to panel( face vent). Jeep is new to me so I'm trying to figure out what to look for. Planning on taking the AC switches out today to hopefully get a better view

When you say "does only floor vents", do it mean it will blow out the floor vents all the time, regardless of the vent control setting, or only out the floor vents when set to floor and no other vents when you change the setting? Are you sure you're not getting air out the defrost?

You HVAC vents operate on vacuum. There are vacuum actuators under the dash, behind the glovebox that open and close the doors and direct air out the selected vent.

If you have a vacuum leak upstream from the vent control, you loose all vacuum causing the doors to default to defrost.

In your case, sounds like you either have a leak downstream from the control, or perhaps some obstruction blocking the actuators. Perhaps the actuator rod broke or simply slipped off.

When you pull the control panel out, you'll see the vacuum connector. Make sure it's secure, and all the lines are intact.

I did find the defroster arm to be completely broken off. I'll probably have to pull the dash.
There are several things going on with the jeep. However the jeep was free. Listed below are the problems any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Oil psi 13-15psi idle
Coolant overflow hose rodent damage
Evap canister rodent damage
Rear end/bearing noise humming
Defrost vents/panel inoperable broken arm
Vacuum hose at near ?speedo actuator?rodent damage
Rear wiper inoperable possibly switch
Headliner falling
Tires cracking
Fuel sending unit not working

Back