• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder replacement.

OLDBEAR

NAXJA Forum User
1995 jeep xj. inline six with 5 speed manual. I looking to replace the hydraulic clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder and hose. Who makes the best replacement these days? It is no longer available at the dealer. Thanks.

Probably Napa, but who knows anymore. Especially with the supply chain fun for the last two years. It is all a roll of the dice.

You could always go with South Bend or Luk, but they're a little more expensive. I think they switched to an external slave cylinder in 1994, so you won't have to drop the transmission to swap it. Should be a simple replacement.

Napa's return/exchange/warranty policy is excellent though, so should any issue arise, you could just swap it out again.

Okay I went with the LUK master and slave cylinder, Russel steel braided hose and an advance Adapters fitting to connect the hose to the master cylinder but cannot find a seal/O-ring to fit the adapter. Any else have experience with this same setup? I know prolly high unlikely but gotta try.

Have you tried contacting Advance Adapters?

Are you looking at the right groove in the fitting?
Don't forget that the "roll pin" goes through the large groove to hold it into the master or slave.
The smaller groove is for the O ring.

Don't forget that the "roll pin" goes through the large groove to hold it into the master or slave.

Good point!

The provided O ring with your master and slave goes on the smaller groove.
Don't worry if there is a room for a wider O ring. Just lube the O ring with some brake fluid before you install it onto the master or slave.
Press the roll pin in and your done!

0000750_716130-master-cylinder-fitting-for-jeep-yj-wrangler_625.jpeg

How it should look installed:

80-img_2585_8ce0f3e2cc10fee7c90b534208a925f3e1ba65a3.jpeg

Thanks guys. The information is very much appreciated. I had it my mind that I needed a quad ring like the one used in the slave cylinder. I am learning. Now to get my new parts on and get it bled. Again, thanks to all for your patience.

Thanks, I did put a nick in the o-ring from LUK. I found a set at autozone of viton material. One in the set was a little tight but hopefully it will seal. We will see.

Back