• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuilt 8.25 w/ Yukon 3.55 gears question

Criver12

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I was able to have a shop rebuild the 8.25 in my 99 XJ as I do not have the tools/experience to set one up right. The gears whined really bad at all speeds above 25 and even louder on any decel which seemed common research.

I looked up the break in procedures and I'm following them for the first 500mi.

I noticed on the drive back from the shop the gears were quiet up until around 40mph where there is a noticeable whurring noise. This noise is heard up to 55 so far... haven't gone faster yet.

Are 8.25 yukon gears just loud or does this shop need to re-check their work? Or are the supposed to get quiet over time?

New gears should not make any noise. You need to take it back. Did you get all new bearings?

New gears should not make any noise. You need to take it back. Did you get all new bearings?

I got new bearings, seals, and gears. I will talk to the shop owner about the issue to get it figured out.

The noise seems to go to a higher pitch when unloaded (like coasting down a hill) but still has a howl when loaded.

Back