• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New shocks question: is it normal to leak a little oil before installing?

gba88

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I was looking for cheap rear shocks but not the cheapest... have used gabriels, monroes and decided on KYB excel-g versions from amazon.

They came yesterday and I noticed a little oil on the casing/barrels/whatever the main body is called. I wiped them and put them in the garage overnight. I checked this morning and there was a tiny trail of oil out of each (about halfway down the body).

I'm wondering if this is possibly normal or if I should send these back and just get gabriels from autozone? I've done quite a few sets of shocks in the past, but never really paid attention before installing. They were in the house at 70 degrees and then in the garage over night at about 45 degrees. They are still under compression with the nylon bands from the factory. I just don't want to go through the standard rear shock BS only to find these leaking in a week or so.

They might have been treated with an oil like substance to not get any surface rust on them sitting on a shelf. Kind of like rotors are.

No shocks don't weap oil. the KYB's come pre-compressed so that should have wiped off any oil from manufacturing.

It wasn't a coating, it was clearly coming from the top where the piston goes in to the body I would say. I purposely stood them upright to check to see if anything leaked. Guess I'll check in the am and decide what to do. Dammit, I really didn't want to have to go through an amazon return for these!

Back