• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LED Turn SIgnals

XJ99JEEP

NAXJA Forum User
I recently put led light bars as turn signals, it is completely legal, but I can't figure out how to get my parking lights and turn signals to work at the same time. I want the light bars to come on with the parking light and then when a turn signal is applied, I want the light bar to flash on and off while the other light bar is still a steady light. can someone shed some light on how I can do this and what I need? thanks

You can use a trailer light converter to get the signal you want.

Use the brake light wiring for the running lights

The turn signals will us the turn signal wiring, so they will work light trailer turn signals.

Ralph77 it's not exactly, what you did, I actually put 2 six inch light bars as my turn signals and I can't get the turn signals and parking lights to work at the same time. and I tried the brake light converter and it didn't seem to work, maybe I wired it wrong? How should I wire it? thanks fir replying guys

Ralph77 it's not exactly, what you did, I actually put 2 six inch light bars as my turn signals and I can't get the turn signals and parking lights to work at the same time. and I tried the brake light converter and it didn't seem to work, maybe I wired it wrong? How should I wire it? thanks fir replying guys

Correct me if I am wrong. You put the LED bars in the headlight bezel where there are usually 2 3157 on each side. Assuming this was not plug and play. Assuming you wired the LED bar in straight and cutting off the connectors for the 3157 bulbs. Also assuming that you just used the wiring for one connector on each side for wiring up the LED bar. So you have turn signals with the headlights off. You have no turn signals with the headlights on.

Did you put LED's in your side makers? Did you swap out to an LED flasher?

yes, that would all be correct, I just don't know how to get them to work normally if that makes any sense. I'm more of a mechanical guy lol

You and me both. So for starters did you notice this with your side markers when you had put in the 194 LED's?

So putting it in one way resulted in this:
Would go on with headlights.
Would blink when using the turn signals when the headlights were on.
Would not blink when using the turn signals with the headlights off.

Putting the bulb in the other way resulted in this:
Would not light up when you turned on the headlights.
Would blink when you used the turn signals with the headlights off.
Would not blink when you used the turn signals with the headlights on.

Now I don't think that is what is causing the issue with the front lights. But I want to know if you have this issue.

Now this is just a guess. Maybe because you hardwired in to only on of the 3157 connectors on each side and the other one is now an open circuit that is causing the problem.

If you only cut off one of the 3157 connectors to hard wire in the LED bar maybe try putting back one of the 3157 bulbs in the connector you did not cut and see what happens.

I do have that issue, and even when I wired in the two it didnt work correctly. and okay, Ill try that when i get home and see what happens

The side marker issue I am guessing is totally unrelated to the LED bar issue. That is because LED's have polarity. For some reason the 2 wires for the side markers are not specific ground and power. They switch back and forth. Regular bulbs do not have polarity. So that is one they work. LED bulbs do. Which is why they act the way they do like I wrote above. This is why non polarity 194 LED's have to be used in the side markers.

For the hell of it I would put back in the regular 194 bulbs in the side markers and see what happens. I am guessing it will not help though.

Wondering if you need to reverse the wiring on the LED bar.

This setup sounds like it would work for you. It will put the LED bar power direct to the battery so you're not pulling too much current through the stock wiring. It will use 2 relays. 1 to power the led bar and the 2nd to cut power when the turn signal is flashing. It will also cause your DRL's to turn on when you turn on the Jeep.

VLiy3f6.png

I was about to attempt installing LED turn signals when I found this thread. I must say it is somehow intimidating now after reading about your misadventures

What year are you talking about, everything in my 2000 is led!

Back