• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 cant bench shift 4th gear

POSrenix

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a junkyard ax15 installed it to find 3-4 no good pulled it apart to find out had a broken shift fork and 3rd gear teeth stript and coupler gear and syncro in similar disarray bought new parts reassembled seems to shift with case apart but hard to gauge as im doing it with a prybar when assembled with shifter all gears shift smooth like butter in and out except 4th have to slam and does not feel like fully engages i have pulled case apart several times now to check used correct syncros followed fsm check all tolerances i also know this trans was apart before as it had red rtv silicone has anyone ran into similar situation and if so what fid you do to fix

like i said i can shift gears when the case is off i suspect something with the shaft or fork possibly contacting the case or bent shaft only thing that worrys me is that i know this has been apart so if the previous owner mickey moused something i didnt catch like close but not same detent balls ?

I figured it out the 3-4 shift fork was contacting the case just tiniest bit the fork had a raised tab that not sure if original had as that was the original problem broken 3-4 fork i took rotary file and clearance the case a smige and filed down the tab on fork does anyone know what causes this is there something else that i should be concerned with do those bores need to be sleeved do they wear out?I would post photos but it seems to be a tedious task

Back