• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adapter 7554

cody4359

NAXJA Forum User
The other day browsed thru the service manual and figured out.how to.check line pressure. I have a 97+ aw4, went out and bought a trans/oil pressure guage with a bunch of adapters and figured easy..

Well none of the adapters fit, I went to the dealer and specialty stores figuring I could get what I need. Nobody was able to help. Did a search and can't find anything. I know it needs to be 5/16x24 tpi, where did all of you guys who have checked line pressure gotten your adapters?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I never got the adaptor.

I think it's a Miller tool if you want to search for it using "Miller Tool 7554", but I think it's made from Unobtainium so good luck.

BTW, the plug for the pressure tap port is M8-1.0x10mm.

I tried to find a banjo bolt and fitting this size but no luck.

Where is that tap located?

Try a hydraulics hose shop that custom makes hydraulic hoses. Or an industrial fitting company (air, gases, liquids...), or maybe even commercial AC fittings, but try the other two first

Where is that tap located?

See pic. It's nearly impossible to get at with the transmission installed. Requires a banjo type fitting so the hose can face straight down.

Pressure%20Test%20Port%20Plug.jpg

Fascinating. I got a hose and gauge 5 months ago for the Ford Taurus from a local hydraulic hose shop, it told me a lot, narrowed down the problem, way down. The thread was 1/8" NPT (National pipe thread of all things). I took them the pipe plug to get the match. Being Ford I expected some master-bastered thread on it LOL.

Banjo????

Is the tube fitting in the way of using a 90 degree elbow? Maybe a swivel fitting would like the airless paint rigs use (not sure about the thread/dia) would help with the tight location. Industrial tube fittings have those available.

Last edited:
Here's a pic from the FSM showing the test rig. See the Banjo type fitting at the test port.

You can see a Banjo fitting at your front brake caliper where the brake hose hooks up.

The OP claims his test port plug is 5/16" but I have a test port plug in my hand that is M8. All the fasteners on the AW4 are metric.

The plug part number is 83503749 if you want to search for it.

AW4%20pressure%20test.jpg

Yes, they are very close:
M8 (0.3150) -1.0 (pitch) is 25.40 threads per inch
5/16 (0.3125) - 24.00 (threads per inch)

I'm not sure what size line pressure plug my AW4 has in it...the plug has an o-ring on it, so I'm pretty sure that it is NOT a tapered thread, and yet my line pressure gauge kit includes no o-rings. The kit includes two M8-1.0 (non-tapered) adapters, and a 1/16 - 27 NPT tapered adapter.

The M8-1.0 adapters will only go in about 1/2 turn before meeting substantial resistance, whereas the M8-1.0 line pressure plug goes in all the way until the o-ring seats before meeting any substantial resistance.
The 1/16 - 27 NPT tapered adapter goes in about 2 turns before meeting substantial resistance.

The 1/16 - 27 NPT adapter body was too long, and was going to cause the rubber gauge hose to be too close to the exhaust pipe, so I used an M8-1.0 adapter and tightened it in only about 1 turn...was afraid to put any more torque to it...expected it to leak severely or blow the adapter out of the hole, but somehow that one turn sealed it pretty well, at least up to 130 psi, which is all I subjected it to.

That's because they are essentially the same. Not exact but when only a few threads are present, it threads. Wouldn't do it unless it's an emergency, though.

Back