• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.3 Swap wiring question

jonathanlo

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone! I have a 94 XJ auto that I'm in the process of preparing for a Gen III 5.3l swap. Right now I'm working on cleaning up the Jeep wiring harness.

I'm attempting to keep the Power Distribution Center (PDC) with all the relays and fuses.

My main question right now is for the Auto-Shutdown (ASD) relay. Is this something that needs to be kept for the new motor? The relay has jumpers that go to other relays or fuses (ignition I think and fuel pump). It looks like the wire from the relay to XJ PCM goes to a 5V Signal.

Most of the LSX swaps I've found don't go into much detail on what actually needs to be kept or removed, especially on pre-97 XJs.

Any help would be appreciated!

You can buy a stand alone engine trans harness and unlocked PCM for your swap and I believe its just a few wire hook up to make it run. Look into LS swap harness on google

Hey everyone! I have a 94 XJ auto that I'm in the process of preparing for a Gen III 5.3l swap. Right now I'm working on cleaning up the Jeep wiring harness.

I'm attempting to keep the Power Distribution Center (PDC) with all the relays and fuses.

My main question right now is for the Auto-Shutdown (ASD) relay. Is this something that needs to be kept for the new motor? The relay has jumpers that go to other relays or fuses (ignition I think and fuel pump). It looks like the wire from the relay to XJ PCM goes to a 5V Signal.

Most of the LSX swaps I've found don't go into much detail on what actually needs to be kept or removed, especially on pre-97 XJs.

Any help would be appreciated!

On my 01, it only controls fuel injectors and spark and is ground activated by the PCM. I don't know if it's the same on your year but you should try to find a FSM and it should lay it out for you.

I would guess that's it's most likely the same in that it would only disable powertrain function so shouldn't matter to you.

Back