• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HP Dana 30 Yukon 4.88 Ring gear pattern check

-Mocha-

NAXJA Forum User
My first time setting up gears- new Yukon 4.88 gears with an ARB, high pinion D30.

I think this is about as dialed in as it's going to get, pulled it out 10 times to adjust shims, I think this may be it!

I kept trying to get the drive side to move a bit to the heel and coast side to move a bit to the toe to really get it perfect, but toe to heel movement just doesn’t want to happen. Opening up the backlash doesn’t seem to change much. I have photos of 2 thou less shim and 2 thou more, this was the sweet spot to me.

Looking good?
.009 backlash

2nCm9Lu

2nCdGus

You need a photo hosting service to post pics. .009" BL is very large for a D30!

i

Pics aren’t showing up yet, but backlash specs on a 30 are 6-10. I usually shoot for the lower end of the specs (0.07/0.08) when I build axles, but as long as it’s in spec and patterns out nicely, it’ll be fine.

These are pretty close, and is “good enough” for a Dana 30. If it was a rear I would try to get it a little bit better.

Thanks for the feedback! Would you keep working it or run it like this?

And what exactly would a little better look like? I bracketed and narrowed it down, pulling it out to adjust shims 10 times tracking everything. I’m not sure how to get it any better since toe to heel positioning would barely change with different pinion depths and backlash setups, so I was just focusing on a nice pattern and root to face position.

Plus I read toe to heel positioning is near impossible to get perfect.

What brand gears are they because they look extremely rough?

The pattern is usually a little "cleaner" looking, I also check the entire ring gear for any "changes" in the pattern not just one spot!

Back