• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 cruise control install...not working

clean96XJ

NAXJA Forum User
1996 cherokee 4.0 5 speed

Retrofitted cruise control.
Followed all the directions.
never worked

All 1996 components
No vaccum leaks.
Correct clock spring/switches.
fuses are good.

Problem:
Turn cruise control to "On" light stays lit for 10 seconds
and shuts off.
Turn off and restart vehicle to reset it.

Can't confirm.. Dual function brake switch vs conventional brake switch
Checked rockauto only 1 type available looks like mine.

checked FSM and Haynes.. no mentions of 10 second off issue.

help please
thanks

unplugged the brake switch and cruise will stay on

but it wont set.

checked the continuity of the switch
seems to be working correctly.
plunger in.. cruise gets power (and brake lights off).

manually depressed plunger to max and cruise doesnt stay on.
(its a PITA to put back into the bracket)

Is it the switch or something further up the connection (servo?)

ideas?

No good ideas...

Do you have any aftermarket accessories that tie in with brake lights? Like say a brake controller or a trailer wiring adapter?

I wonder if a properly placed diode might solve the problem.

no aftermarket add ons.

no trouble codes (per autozone)

unplugged the servo and cruise stayed on (brake switch connected).

going to attempt to test servo with multimeter.

starting to suspect a bad connection to servo.
It was unconnected for +15 years.
tried cleaning but not satisfied with results.

Let you all know when figure out the issue.

Have you converted all of your brake lights to LED? I know on the older models that the cruise control module monitored the brake line for ground but if LED's were installed, it could never see ground. I spent literally weeks working on this problem with my '90 XJ. I replaced every single part in the system but the symptoms remained the same (surge then cutoff whenever I tried to set the speed). I had changed the brake lights to LED's months before but never associated this with the cruise control. I "fixed" the issue by adding a relay to the brake sensor line on the cruise module.

The easiest way to check is to make sure you have standard incandescent bulbs for the rear brakes and then retest. If it works, I can send you instructions on how to add the relay. If it doesn't, you are out the cost of a couple of bulbs.

Last edited:
I am all LED in the rear, running a trailer brake converter. No issues with Cruise Control. In a '96.

Rockauto shows 2 different switches. One has all 6 pins in a single row, the other 3x2. Which one is yours?

On the brake switch connector, my diagrams shows pins 4 (DB/RD wire) and 6 (BK) Pin 6 is ground. Pin 4 goes to Pin 3 on the servo.

Pin 1 (YL/RD) goes to Pin 1 on the speed control switch. Pin 3 (WT/PK) goes to the shifter interlock, the TCM and pin C24 on the PCM.

Do the wire colors match up?

Check all wires for continuity and shorts.

Cant say for sure on your 96, but my guess would be Pin 1 and 3 connect when you press the pedal, pin 4 & 6 disconnect.

Back