NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old July 19th, 2020, 09:15
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Meh a/c

Now that I re-re-read the thread, I get what you're saying. It really does sound like you have a leak somewhere, and your charging issue is most likely with the retrofit r134a ports. Luckily, you can remove them without opening the system to atmosphere, so you might not have to vacuum it again. Unless you open it to replace another leaky component, but I suspect that's also got something to do with those charging ports.
Do you have a set of manifold gauges? They're about $50-60 at harbor freight, and they're well worth it for working on AC.

I hope you get it solved ��
Old July 19th, 2020, 10:04
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agreen View Post
If the clutch isn't engaging, it won't create a suction.

What do you mean it was good? It took refrigerant and cooled off?

**** clutch engaged. compressor was not pulling from the low side.****

I'm confused. So it leaked out again? If you're trying to fill it and it won't take refrigerant, it sounds like your fittings aren't working right. They do have schrader valves in them, so you might be using the wrong type of conversion fittings.

Have you done a refrigerant leak test yet?
**** I have left the gauges hooked up after pulling vacuum and no pressures dropped from -30.

Maybe it's not engaging the schrader valve. that would really make sense.
ill pull it off and test off the car and see if it engages.
Old July 19th, 2020, 11:18
NAXJA Forum User

Sometimes it depends on the kit. Some have a schrader valve already in the retrofit adapter, some just have a plunger. Of it has a plunger you should leave the original r12 Schrader in. If it has its own schrader valve you should remove the one from the r12 fitting. Also, those usually have an oring seal inside that you should lubricate with PAG oil (or whatever kind of oil the system requires) and make sure the surface it's going to seal against is completely clean before installing.

Now, here's a real nut kicker: when it got a vacuum drawn on the system, did it really draw a vacuum on the system, or did it just draw a vacuum on the fitting? Get what I'm saying here? If your AC guy had a hard time getting refrigerant in there, could he have possibly not known it wasn't getting past the fittings?

And one more thing: for less than $150, you can have your own vacuum pump and manifold gauge set. Then you won't have to take it to someone else to vacuum it and get it charged. (Search "AC vacuum pump and gauge set" on Amazon)
Old July 19th, 2020, 11:21
NAXJA Forum User

Meh a/c

I bought gauges and a pump after it leaked.
But yeah bad valve is probably it. I'll post pics of these odd fittings to explain

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old July 19th, 2020, 11:44
NAXJA Forum User

Meh a/c

Picture of the valve the chewed up right side "from the shop :/" is all the way open right now

Old July 19th, 2020, 13:00
NAXJA Forum User

Meh a/c

So. Am I maybe misunderstanding the valve? Drew a picture to help explain.? Ideas?

Old July 19th, 2020, 13:08
NAXJA Forum User

Im 100% sure the changes made were in that valve when he got it to fill. so Im also pretty sure now that he may have not actually vacuumed it. nor did I.
Im gonna pull it all apart again (fittings on the compressor) and see if I can put it perfectly halfway like the picture above then attempt it again
Old July 19th, 2020, 13:25
NAXJA Forum User

If it's all the way out you can charge and evacuate the system. Crank them in and you can change the compressor without losing all that sweet R12 (back in the day). I didn't realize it had those valves. You may need to back those all the way out and draw a vacuum on it again. If you didn't get a vacuum on it before, you absolutely still have non-condensable gasses on there (air) and your AC will be
... Meh
Old July 19th, 2020, 13:26
NAXJA Forum User

Meh a/c

Both valves were out the way the 2nd pic is. That makes sense now about the valves. But still doesn't explain why I couldn't fill

Old July 19th, 2020, 13:59
NAXJA Forum User

Check the retrofit adapters
Old July 19th, 2020, 14:10
NAXJA Member

Your drawing is correct. During normal operation the stem is backed out and seated to seal off the service port.

When servicing the system, you need to turn them both in but not all the way. That allows you to evacuate and charge it.

In the event you need to isolate the compressor, and not lose all of your refrigerant, you turn them all the way in until they seat. You can then remove the fitting from the compressor, or open the oil plug to check the oil level and add more oil if needed.
Old July 19th, 2020, 14:18
NAXJA Member

There are no schrader valves in the service valves. However, your retro fittings may have them. If they do, you also need to turn the knobs on the fittings all the way in to depress the schrader after you connect them (or simply take them out assuming your service valves seal properly).

Don't forget to back the stems on the services valves before you disconnect.
Old July 19th, 2020, 14:29
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
Your drawing is correct. During normal operation the stem is backed out and seated to seal off the service port.

When servicing the system, you need to turn them both in but not all the way. That allows you to evacuate and charge it.

In the event you need to isolate the compressor, and not lose all of your refrigerant, you turn them all the way in until they seat. You can then remove the fitting from the compressor, or open the oil plug to check the oil level and add more oil if needed.
I really hope you are correct and my drawing/understand that they need to be like halfway/midway in to Open the service port.
Thanks!
Old July 19th, 2020, 14:52
NAXJA Member

It's the same on my 88 Renix.

Last edited by Saudade; July 19th, 2020 at 14:58.
Old July 19th, 2020, 15:06
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
It's the same on my 88 Renix.

bigwow.
looks just like mine cept better.
Thanks!