• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Think i killed my cat

Switch1625

NAXJA Forum User
Not that kind of cat!

I was told to check the catalytic convertor to see if it rattles when you knock it, and it does. So someone told me i could remove it, and clean it out with a broom stick, so i think i got the cat off, and looking inside, halfway thorugh is like an air filter type thing, and there is some white thing laying in the cat. What is this? I dont know what to do!

this happened to me except i didnt get a new one or take it off. i leftit on broken went wheelin and it got blocked off and could only go about 5 miles an hour. that day turned into 40 hours of no sleep and trying to figure out what was wrong. i would recommend just cutting it off and running without it for a while until you can afford a new one. you jeep will sound like nascar for a while but you could prolly just tack weld some pipe from your flange to your muffler till you get a new cat.
hope this helps
-Ryan

You can get a generic catalytic converter installed around here (Los Angeles) for $100-$125 if you shop around and call the mom & pop muffler shops. Can't really speak for their longevity compared to OEM, but they will get you through smog if that's all you happen to need and I've never had one go bad within at least the next smog test.

Having said that, XJs need a certain amount of backpressure to develop power. Gutting the cat will help to reduce that backpressure - and it'll also cause the oxygen sensors to set the fuel mixture way out of spec, which will affect performance and fuel economy. I know you're out of cash until Friday, so just drive it that way for few days then replace it ASAP. In the long run, it's a false economy to disable it unless you bypass the entire exhaust emissions system.

To answer your original questions:

Switch1625 said:
was told to check the catalytic convertor to see if it rattles when you knock it, and it does.

This is usually the sign of a shot cat. Technically you shouldn't hit it - just grab it (when cold) and shake it a bit. Hitting it could conceivably break the internal elements, but in your case it sounds like this had already happened.

So someone told me i could remove it, and clean it out with a broom stick, so i think i got the cat off,

This is essentially correct - but how did you remove it? Every XJ I've ever seen had it welded in place downstream of the exhaust downpipe but ahead of the muffler. Was your just clamped in?

and looking inside, halfway thorugh is like an air filter type thing, and there is some white thing laying in the cat. What is this?

The thing that looked like an air filter or wire mesh is typically just a debris screen to catch any metal from the white thing - which is the (usually) platinum/ceramic element that superheats to vapourise the 'bad' emissions as they exit. Depending on how your cat was constructed, there may be a mesh screen at either end of it.

I dont know what to do!

Find a shop that can do it cheap with a generic cat and replace it the first chance you get.

break the white thing up with a pry bar.
Start it up, romp on it till all the pieces come out.
Repeat as necessary.

If you can leave that "air filter" thing intact thats a plus,
Its ceramic catalyst, leave it unless its falling apart

Before you go doing this, you should at least be aware that gutting a cat is a federal crime under the Clean Air Act. I think California has additional pollution laws that may apply. Given that you have to be smog tested, they will notice a missing cat. The testing will also notice a non-functional cat, but they can't conclusively prove that you gutted it (unless they subcribe to naxja :}).

Like others said, a new cat should be under $150. I had mine replaced at a local shop for $135 installed.

I gutted mine out on the trail a while back (bottomed out on it, honeycomb broke up, clogged, wouldnt run right)... i was lucky that my cat is bolt in. I noticed about a 3 mpg drop in economy, more power at load, but it was a big rougher off the line.

A cat just isnt that expensive. Fix it right.

My 98 Cat is dead and rattling. Like that when I bought it. I thought banging that was part of the motor purrrrring. Kinda like it. Makes my XJ sound like it just came off the trail :)

hippymill said:

So.. $92 plus 9.50 "handling"= 101.50 shipped? Compared to $90 shipped? I'll stick with my $90 shipped. :kissyou:

Hottexhaust does not charge for shipping... ever, and arrived 2 days after I ordered it. The $128 is the normal price, search around and get one of the many coupon codes(I tested probably 5 before I figured out which one is the biggest discount) and it knocks that down to $90.

Back