• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 getting really noisy! Have I killed another one? Videos

SouthSeaPirate

NAXJA Forum User
Few months ago I put in a 130k mile 98 ZJ engine in my XJ.
New timing chain, sprockets, and gaskets.
No slack in the rods from what I could tell when I had the pan off.

All has been fine for a few thousand miles.
Over the last week it has been slowly getting noisier and noisier.
At first was so little that I was even questioning myself if I really heard anything out of the ordinary. Now, it's crazy noisy.
It otherwise runs just fine. Doesnt seem down on power or anything.

Please try to ignore the fan running in the first video. It was nowhere near as loud as the engine noise.
Second video is showing the lag in building oil pressure. I should have waited as after it sits, it takes much longer to build pressure, but gives you an idea that it is not normal operation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3VgdUIjLkE&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq9nGmrT8DY&feature=youtu.be

What could this noise be? Main or crank bearings?

i'm sure this is not it because you are skilled enough to install a new timing chain. however, the video sounds like a giant open vacuum. you've hooked up a vacuum gauge already right

What brand oil filter?

With the delayed pressure build up im thinking you may have got a filter with a bad antidrain back valve.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Noise issue has been solved with the exception of the noise a tractor engine normally makes.
It was the water pump. First time I took off belt it seemed fine from what I could tell.
It was still a tad noisy from the first tho; reason I took the belt off the first time.

So now to figure out the oil pressure issue.

You put in new oil pump when you had the pan off?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back