• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overheating round 2

yardape

NAXJA Member #272
I've pretty much done everything to try and discover why my Jeep is overheating after an accident and new radiator was installed. New fan clutch, checked the lower radiator hose spring, thermostat, air pocket, etc,..... Everything points to the radiator. As a last ditch effort prior to replacing the radiator, I tested the coolant with a Prestone knock-off tester sold by NAPA. The guage says I am protected down to -40 degrees F and up to 270 degrees F which sounds great but I also understand that too high a concentration of coolant can reduce cooling efficiency. The concentration should be 50/50 coolant to water but 70/30 is too much. While my readings seem somewhat high, I don't know how to interpolate how high is too high. Can anyone help?

A 4.0L Jeep will run at 210 right down the center on your temp guage, it is designed to run this way and may seem hot to people who come from backgrounds of having other vehicles. 220-240 or so might be hit on a very hot day with the a/c on, try to avoid getting the Jeep this hot. If you are sitting in traffic, put the Jeep in neutral and rev up to 2K or so and the fan should help cool you down again. Hope this helps. ;)

Check with Dr. Dyno (Jeep performance guru), but 1st do some searching, overheating is a hot topic :-O Overheating can come from so many things and you have to determine when it happens, how bad, etc before you throw money at the problem in an attempt to solve it.

Troy

What temps are you running at?

I feel your pain.

hot.jpg

Yikes!!!! Mine gets up there but I never let it get that high!!!! The highest I will let it run is about 230-40. At that point I can ususally bring it down by turning on the heater,.... something I really love to do when the temp is 95 degrees outside.:flame:

Ironically, when the outside temperature is cooler, the water runs at around 190-200,... lower than the ususal 210.

Not to steal the thread... but, my focus has turned to the AW4...

Why?

1) Three radiators. Radiator Barn, CSF, Vistion all aluminum.
2) Plate and coil tranny cooler
3) High flow waterpump.
4) 3 to 4 T-stats. Just went from high flow to normal flow.
5) 3 fan clutches
6) Water wetter
7) Additional pusher fan in front of radiator, hood vents are fan powered.
8) Header is fiberglass wrapped
9) Head gasket just done. Includes machine shop magnaflux, surfacing and valve job. Block was clean. Cylinders in good shape (still cross hatching visible @ 170k miles later).

Only hope of cooling down is interstate and locked converter...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=93239

check the heater hose are hooked up right if they are back word it will cause the engine to heat up as well due to dumping the hot water right into the water pump to be recirced in the engine instead of to the radiator

Robs is definately too hgh.

Yardape: You're also high during your hot days. Does your electric fan come on?

hold on while i hijack this thread.

so the first year and a half or so i have the xj, temp gauge always reads 165. yeah, probally inaccurate. later on, dont ever pay attention, swapped gauge cluster, and it runs at 200. whatever, right? still cool enough.

had a week of 100+ temps, no problems.

yesterday for the first time ever, i was going 10-15 as there was a frikken concert down the block from my house and traffic was terrible, the thing just jumps to 220-230!

not a huge deal in the way of temps you guys are running, but big difference for me. the electric fan never came on, even when i parked it and let it idle to get real hot.

Yes the electric fan works. Interesting that whenever there is an overheating thread, the pirates come out of the woodwork.:scottm: :laugh3:

Yardape: The fan won't kick on until about 220. On a hot day, while idling long or very slow traffic speeds (rare ocassion in LA ;)), my '88 will get about halfway (or a tad more) between the 210 mark and the next line. Assuming the line is "half way" to 260, the line would be 235. So my guesstimate is that I reach about 225 (give or take a few) in these conditions. Unless something is wrong, it nevers goes higher than this. Generally, a slip into neutral and few revs of the throttle, will bring it back down to 210 or less.

So yours goes past the 235 line on a regular basis? Have you flushed the system?

Back