• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric Cooling Fan CFM Rating Tests - DirtBound Offroad

Does anybody have the wiring diagram this is supposed to come with? I've emailed and called and not gotten any communication. I waiting three weeks for it to ship after they charged me and had to harass the heck out of them to get any response. Anybody have a writeup for installing it?

Thanks

I did mine this weekend. I PMed someone from a other post and this is what he sent me.

Relay

relay-diagram.gif

If you have a controller from dirtbound Green or white ( in my case ) goes to the + on the controller and then one wire goes back to #1 relay and a second goes back to relay #2. From #1 one red goes to one fan and on relay #2 red goes to two fans.

Questions? PM me.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this Max.

I emailed you a few times for this.

Happy to say that the kit looks good, and I got it quick. Less then two weeks after ordering (international, too).

Just had some interesting data points to add:

Fooling around with paired stock E-fans in the truck. It currently has one early 8 blade fan(Dr. side/stock position), and one late model 12 blade fan.(Ps. side/mech. fan position)

The early fan(8 blade) pulled aprox. 7.8 amps running
The late fan(12 blade) pulled almost 15 amps running
I didn't check start up amperage(ran out of daylight)

Based on the measured 50% higher start-up load on the Dirtbound fan, it wouldn't surprise me if the stock late mod. fan pulls over 20 amps at start-up.

Just using the subjective "hand in front of the fan" test, the late mod fan seems to move noticeably more air then the early fan. I suspect an actual flow test will show the early fan pulls about 2/3 to 3/4 the airflow of the late fan.

Truck sitting at idle:
Both fans running temp stabilized at 190(right at thermostat opening temp)
Running the late fan only, the truck would stabilize at idle at about 210deg.
Running the early fan only, the truck would overheat at idle: temp went to 220(aftermarket gauge)and kept climbing.

Just had some interesting data points to add:

Fooling around with paired stock E-fans in the truck. It currently has one early 8 blade fan(Dr. side/stock position), and one late model 12 blade fan.(Ps. side/mech. fan position)

The early fan(8 blade) pulled aprox. 7.8 amps running
The late fan(12 blade) pulled almost 15 amps running
I didn't check start up amperage(ran out of daylight)

Based on the measured 50% higher start-up load on the Dirtbound fan, it wouldn't surprise me if the stock late mod. fan pulls over 20 amps at start-up.

Just using the subjective "hand in front of the fan" test, the late mod fan seems to move noticeably more air then the early fan. I suspect an actual flow test will show the early fan pulls about 2/3 to 3/4 the airflow of the late fan.

Truck sitting at idle:
Both fans running temp stabilized at 190(right at thermostat opening temp)
Running the late fan only, the truck would stabilize at idle at about 210deg.
Running the early fan only, the truck would overheat at idle: temp went to 220(aftermarket gauge)and kept climbing.

Thanks for the info. I would like to see some airflow data from dirtbound on the early model fans as I just did the dual early model swap. If I had an extra one laying around I would donate it to the cause :D

Any new news or new pictures of the install on the new fan setup? I have the newer model triple fan setup and wanted to know what the final install pics looked like. My kit didn't come with any directions or explanations of how it goes in so I had to just go to town on it haha. I do know one thing though. It did not fit unless I moved the AC hard line out of the way. Basically just tweaked it out of the way with a pry bar. Also wondering what the core support on top looks like since mine doesnt go back on. I have my idea to put it on but wanted to know exactly how it looked. I will post pics and writeup of my work. I was doing a GoPro time laps video but the battery died about 2 hours into work. Oh well.

Any new news or new pictures of the install on the new fan setup? I have the newer model triple fan setup and wanted to know what the final install pics looked like. My kit didn't come with any directions or explanations of how it goes in so I had to just go to town on it haha. I do know one thing though. It did not fit unless I moved the AC hard line out of the way. Basically just tweaked it out of the way with a pry bar. Also wondering what the core support on top looks like since mine doesnt go back on. I have my idea to put it on but wanted to know exactly how it looked. I will post pics and writeup of my work. I was doing a GoPro time laps video but the battery died about 2 hours into work. Oh well.

I am sorry I don't have any new pictures right now, I will try to get some late this week. With the core support were you able to see how I had to trim mine?
I have not had any problems with the fans or the controller, I did water proof the relays though. I had a problem with my relays for my lights so I water proofed the fans relays before I had problem.

Yeah PM me if you have any other questions.
Thanks

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8504
the guy was saying
700 rpms(idle) about 650cfms
2000 rpms(clutch locked) about 1860cfms

It would be nice to have some solid numbers,and not just "about" numbers.

I agree, it would be nice to see some measured numbers. The 1860 CFM at cruise speed doesn't sound right to me based on real world observation with my 2100 cfm electric fan swapped in. Granted the electric "on" point is about 15 degrees hotter than the mechanical fan's clutch lock temperature, but still : I suspect the mechanic moves more than 1800 CFM.

If you are talking about for power/grounds and such. a min. of 14ga.

Thanks. No good alternatives to SPAL? Or to put it another way - is SPAL by far the best out there?

I run two 13 inch Derale. Not an easy fit. They are power hungry and loud.

You can still find the SPALs floating around online, #30100435

I picked mine up one at a time over the course of a few months, all on ebay for $50-$60 each.

Back