• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winter Desert Run 2014

GreenMeanXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Since I wont be able to make the FYTO event this year I thought I would give this a shot.

Winter desert run @ White-rocks Utah
When -----------February 22nd (sat) trail run
We will be going out Friday after work and spending the weekend (fri-sat nights)
Snow, Rain, or shine . Lets hope for the first .

Requirements ; 4WD , tire size none, CB, Extra fuel, spare tire, recovery strap, good attitude and also be prepared for the cold conditions.
Trail conditions; Desert roads, sandy and small rocky sections, high speed desert bombing area's . There may be some snow drifts also depending on how much snow if any. Some rockcralwin near the camp(s) . Plenty of hiking and stuff for the Lil r/c's
Camp or just come out for the trail run.

On the way out firday afternoon we will be going on one of the last remaining paved sections of the Lincoln Hwy on the way there . Basically passing 5-mile and driving through Rush valley going towards Dugway.

When posting specify if you are camping, trail only, on the fence .

Trail summary;
This trail will be taking us counter clockwise and going through historical Hastings Pass and round the backside of the Cedar Mtns. There is an old cabin on the back of Hastings Pass to check out.
Im gauging this trail to be 60+ miles of dirt round trip but if we have to turn back at 3/4 way due to snow drifts (if any) I stress the importance of extra fuel. (Snow-bashing may be nessesary)
At the half way point we can break off the route and go into Delle via dirt road for emergency fuel (if needed).
Trail runtime is about 4-6 hrs.
Lunch break will be at Hastings Pass or near the old cabin.

Official List ; GreenMean XJ, jmaxj, and Dr. Moab.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a few pics.

The backside of White-rocks. Main hiking route up volcano but there are other ways up and other sides to see.

Funky rock formations

Sample of the route. This was the only technical section were the road was washd out . Once I bumped up this foot and a half ledge I was back to bombing down the dirt road.

Hasting Pass road started to get rocky.

Now on the backside heading south back towards camp the road was variable sections of sandy, rocky and some snow drifts.
Also an old log cabin back there.
http://s180.photobucket.com/user/RockRacer1/media/cedarmtnsscouting033_zps13483db7.jpg.html

Also another huge rocky wash was back there. Some miles later entered Rydalch canyon . Wich is where I expect the most snow.

From there the fork leads us back to camp.

Last edited:
I may be able to make this, if not for the weekend I can pull Saturday at least.

Since I missed the FYTO as well I'm looking for a "make-up" trip to do with my boys. This fits the bill nicely! I'm going to plan on Fri-Sat.

Re: Re: Winter Desert Run 2014

(know if I can only edit my first post)
You cant edit your first post( I think it's only within the first 30-45min)but I bet if you send a nice pm to the current chapter BOD one of them could do it for Ya ;)

Sorry but I won't make this run after all - looks like we'll be moving into our new place the weekend of the 22nd... I took my name off the list in the first post. :mad:

Well its Monday and theres just a few days till we kick this thing off.
Im super exited . Got a winch on and prepped the teardrop already. So now I just gotta do an oil change and cut more fire wood.
Wonder if the wheather will grace us with snow ?

Looks its down to Me, jmaxj , and Dr. moab (wich I put down as a maybe)
I have 5+ others commited as well . camp/trail .
Let me know if both of you can still make it, so I can get a list of who to look for Friday night/sat morning .

I'm still down, but with a few family issues these last couple weeks I havent had time to get the trans done in the ZJ so I'm out. :(

Back