• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New used car: Opinions needed

BSD

NAXJA Forum User
So my wife drives an 89 Crown Victoria. This yacht costs us through the nose on gas especialy since it is overwhelmingly used for city driving. With gas prices as they are and it being a reasonable bet that they will hit 3.00 per gallon in the future as a way of life, I want to get something more ecenomical.
However, the issue is money and repairs. I do not have the money to buy a new or premium used car to haul a family of five with three adolsecent boys. Furthermore, all my wrenching skills are on older cars.
THerefore, I was thinking of finding a early 90's XJ 2X4, AW4. Here is my thinking, I think I can keep the city mileage at least 20mpg or better. I know how to work on it and the known issues. Engine would be fairly reliable.
Granted, I could get something that could get better mileage but I would be working on minivans or suv's that I know nothing about. Paying for diagnosis or repairs would not be cost effective.
Any thoughts?
BSD

I think 20MPG would be doable. I drive my Mj like a grandpa around town and get 18.

3 adolescent boys and one wife, thats gonna get small real quick with a pecking order for who gets stuck center middle in the back.. I hate to say it but a minivan is probably the best bet, 4 banger vs v6, the V6's are a PIA to do rear plugs on.. Other than that they are easy to work on, I'd look for one that takes R134 for the A/C....

RichP said:
3 adolescent boys and one wife, thats gonna get small real quick with a pecking order for who gets stuck center middle in the back.. I hate to say it but a minivan is probably the best bet, 4 banger vs v6, the V6's are a PIA to do rear plugs on.. Other than that they are easy to work on, I'd look for one that takes R134 for the A/C....

I agree with RichP. Don't be afraid of working on modern cars either... I have no formal training and have done extensive underhood work on my '97 GMC Suburban turbodiesel with the help of the internet and a shop manual. Open your mind to learning!

Maybe an I6 4.0L AW4 Grand Cherokee. Not an XJ, but at least the powerplant and drive chain are reliable. Plus, the back seat is just a smidge wider. Mileage is about the same as an XJ if you take it easy.

As far as the new stuff:
Yes, it is doable. I changed head gaskets on the wife's Quad-4 DOHC 16-valve POS in her '89 PITA Grand Am. With an FSM it was doable under the trees on the front drive. Still - I wouldn't want to do it again. Even now that I've got a shop.

FYI - over 22 tankfulls my stock '93 XJ got 18mpg with less that 1 gallon variance. That was mixed city/hwy driving.

Maybe want to think about the economics of all this. Right now you have a car that is paid for (?) that maybe gets 14 or 15 mpg (I'm guessing at this). So you buy something else that improves that by 3 or 4 mpg, but you have to make payments now. How long will it take to save enough on gas to pay for the "economy car"? My theory is you can buy a lot of gas with what you'll save in payments. This doesn't hold up if the existing vehicle is on its last legs and needs to be replaced anyway.

Just my thoughts. It is tough to watch the wheels turn on the gas pump.

Some good ideas. Is there any ideas as to which manufacturers are easier to work on? I.E> foreign vs. domestic or otehr such variables?
thanks
BSD

I used to have a 99 Crown Vic. Loved it.
drove it like a ricer.
so the mileage isn't great.
It rides great, it is a safe vehicle, and
I can't remember having any real problems with it.

...BOB

How much is your famillies safety worth? Is it worth it to find a smaller more fuel efficient car?
Stick with the paid for vic, to gain any decent savings you would need to get a little box.

I may never again buy avehicle that gets over 18MPG, and that is just the price I must pay.

Rev

Back