• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frame stiffener prep.

VAhasnoWAVES

NAXJA Forum User
What's the best method here? The traditional flap wheel works... But I have had good luck using these types of wheels for paint removal, but do know how it would fair on the undercoating:

p18806.jpg

Or is there a better option?

Clean and strip discs work awesome on the undercoating unibody crap. I said it in another thread, but I used these to remove most all of the undercoating. Mocked up the stiffies, and used flap disc to better clean up the areas that needed to be welded. If you have stiffies with the holes for rosette welds, while mocked up use a sharpie/other type of marker in those holes to make sure to get those areas good.

I got mine from RoarkSupply. Good prices. Not sure if you can get better pricing local to you. They are a vendor too!

Depends on what the undercarriage of YOUR jeep looks like, ive seen undercoating thin,and ive seen it THICK. If its thick, brake fluid softens it so you can scrape it off with a putty knife.

Those would get expensive quick, but theyre good shit.

I agree with IllianaXJ. Put a little heat on the undercoating with a propane torch. Work in small areas, get it soft and scrape the big chunks away. Then you can go back with a flapdisk and clean it up. Much less mess that way.

Don't forget the weld-through primer to keep things from rusting under the stiffener.

I hate weld-thru primers, they all suck. I cleaned my rails and inside of the stiffys and shot some regular primer on them. Mocked the stiffy in place and marked each plug weld hole. Just cleaned off those small spots and burned them home

MAPP gas torch and a putty knife. I did both sides of my 95 in ~15 minutes. Really.

Same method I used, worked well. Took about 15-20 mins total then I marked out a light outline of the stiffener and the rosette holes and ground the the holes and certain spots around the perimeter. Primed the inside of the stiffener, ran a file around the outside as well as in the wholes and welded them on, after that went around the perimeter of the stiffener with body seamsealer. Prime and paint and repeat for the rest of them.

I hate weld-thru primers, they all suck. I cleaned my rails and inside of the stiffys and shot some regular primer on them. Mocked the stiffy in place and marked each plug weld hole. Just cleaned off those small spots and burned them home

Yeah that stuff does kinda suck, you're better off with regular primer.

I used rust oleum on my stiffeners and a good epoxy primer on the rest of the undercarriage even tho my rig won't see the roads during winter.

Back