• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch Bumper Manufacture

chris420

NAXJA Forum User
I need to buy a new bumper since my Warn M8000S winch I purchased won’t fit my ARB bumper. I have looked at a few but was thinking I have probably not looked at all my options. Do we have a list out there?

Also, might say if you want fully welded and or a kit. Also, what have you looked at? I have a Bad Dad on order. He does have full width bumpers. There is a click out on his Face Book page.

I love my Baddad Fab hidden winch bumper. Used it with the Ares wings to make a full width bumper out of it. Has a steering box brace and a sector shaft brace. Definitely give his offerings a look.

I heard about Bad Dad about a week ago. Looked through his site some. I am leaning heavily towards his hidden winch bumper, the full bumper,...or build my own which I do not want to do.

How difficult was it to install on the XJ and what would like to see different? Share some installed pics is available.

After much research it’s seems I am going to have difficulty finding a bumper that will for sure fit my JKS steering brace system that I welded in years ago. The ARB bumper that I have had for years fits as I made it fit with a sledge. The ARB bumper was designed to work with the Warn M8000 or M9000 winch and Warn has changed their M8000 Winch design and the new design will not work with the ARB bumper. My resolution is to modify the winch engagement access hole on the ARB bumper so the M8000 S winch I have will work with the ARB bumper. I am going to do a video on this since their nothing out there.

Two top ones on my list are TNT and JCR. I really liked the JCR Mauler but they are two months out I don’t think I can wait that long.

I heard about Bad Dad about a week ago. Looked through his site some. I am leaning heavily towards his hidden winch bumper, the full bumper,...or build my own which I do not want to do.

How difficult was it to install on the XJ and what would like to see different? Share some installed pics is available.

I haven't received mine yet. If you go this route, make sure you tell him if you have frame stiffeners. He actually ask when I ordered. He will need to make adjustments if so.

Those Baddad bumpers look nice but I bet they don't come cheap!

I think the bumper itself was $350. The Hidden mount was about the same. Also, ordered the steering box brace. I remember about $800, plus S&H. A different take than the Boostwerks. I do have a Boostwereks, they list at $425 or so. Then a bumper ?? Say a Logan's, $300-350? I don't know what the Jeep Hidden winch mount went for. Then again, they were only for a 6000 winch.

I think the bumper itself was $350. The Hidden mount was about the same. Also, ordered the steering box brace. I remember about $800, plus S&H. A different take than the Boostwerks. I do have a Boostwereks, they list at $425 or so. Then a bumper ?? Say a Logan's, $300-350? I don't know what the Jeep Hidden winch mount went for. Then again, they were only for a 6000 winch.

For me, the price is not bad especially since I already have (custom made) the winch mount with all the brackets to secure it to the XJ. All I need is a bumper to hide it and the tow hooks.

For me, the price is not bad especially since I already have (custom made) the winch mount with all the brackets to secure it to the XJ. All I need is a bumper to hide it and the tow hooks.

My view is $350 for a bumper is good, especially if painted. Also, if you look at the total cost as compared to say an ARB bumper, then roughly the same.

I heard about Bad Dad about a week ago...

Install was about as easy as it could get. I had an issue with the steering box brace not lining up perfectly, but he got me squared away immediately by sending me some additional shims.

I can't add attachments, but if you look through my build thread (in sig) there are a bunch of pics and more information in there from last spring.

...it’s seems I am going to have difficulty finding a bumper that will for sure fit my JKS steering brace system...

If you go Baddad, you can ditch the JKS steering box brace.

It definitely ended up being pretty spendy, all said and done. I'd rather not tally up the total cost but I purchased:

-BDF original hidden winch bumper: $450 (per my paypal records)
-BDF steering box sector shaft brace: $75
-Ares Fab bumper wings: $165
-Warn M8000 (used): $300
-15' of 1 AWG wires and misc. other stuff: $75

So about $700 for the bumper, plus the winch puts me almost $1,100 into my front bumper setup. YIKES. Wish I didn't do that math lol.

After a lot of research of front winch bumpers, I really like the Filthy Addictions Offroad winch bumper. It is strong, yet still light and has excellent approach angle.

140231116_3716283705107679_2846571942567472811_n.jpg

I actually built my own based on their design.

picture.php

Install was about as easy as it could get. I had an issue with the steering box brace not lining up perfectly, but he got me squared away immediately by sending me some additional shims.

I can't add attachments, but if you look through my build thread (in sig) there are a bunch of pics and more information in there from last spring.

If you go Baddad, you can ditch the JKS steering box brace.

It definitely ended up being pretty spendy, all said and done. I'd rather not tally up the total cost but I purchased:

-BDF original hidden winch bumper: $450 (per my paypal records)
-BDF steering box sector shaft brace: $75
-Ares Fab bumper wings: $165
-Warn M8000 (used): $300
-15' of 1 AWG wires and misc. other stuff: $75

So about $700 for the bumper, plus the winch puts me almost $1,100 into my front bumper setup. YIKES. Wish I didn't do that math lol.

I most likely will not need a steering box brace. I have hydro steering assist from Redneck Ram. In theory, the ram mounted on the axle should reduce the stress on the steering gear and unibody. In my mind, steering gear brace and sector shaft brace should not be needed. And besides, JK take off wheels and tire size are the largest size I can comfortably use without cutting some sheet metal and or gaining height.

Oh! An easy install is always good to know. I feel good about that.

I do have the Ironman Steering box brace and the Boostwerks Hidden winch with steering box brace. as mentioned before. Boostwerks also has a Steering box brace setup. I did install the Ironman on my present XJ. I did not get the sector shaft on there. My frame is tweeked. I did replace it with a Kevins Offroad steering box brace. No real reason for that. I think I was planning to transition to another XJ, which I am in the process of doing. So, about $300 for wither the Ironman or Boostwerks brace.
I believe the Bad Dad is a $35 option. I think/hope I ordered the sector shaft brace, too. Nice to see the BD bumper is painted. Have to factor that into total cost of a bumper.

XJlimitedx99, I'll have to look at your build more. Looks like a lot of stuff I'm looking at doing. Also, I think Boostwerks has an extension for the lever on the winch, for 'me' and others who want to really hide their winch.

Last edited:
Back