• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clunks and clicks...............

gptherezonlyone

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 with a three inch Pro Comp. When turning the wheels from lock to lock I get a combination click and thump from the left and the right but not at the same time. I can't get it to do it when someone is under the front end. I have eliminated the tie rod ends and the ball joints. It is definitely not the track bar. The axle nuts are real tight and all the brake hardware is solid. The lugs are all tight and the control arms and their bushings are all tight and in good shape. The outer and all three uni-joints are new on the front and the hubs(bearings) are 6 months old. It sounds very metallic and appears to be coming from the hub area. With the wheels off the ground and me pulling the top of the tire out and standing on the bottom of the rim it will pop. If I grab the brushguard and shake the front end like I was really pissed off, it will pop. And when I move slow back or forward and turn more than half way in either direction it will pop. What in the hell. I can't figure it out. My local 4x4 "expert" guy said track bar brackets or bad hubs. Its not the brackets or steering gear mounts. Please help me or I am gong to run it into a tree.

Did the kit come with lower control arms?

Allright, I too have the procomp 3 in springs in front and if he bought the same (s)(k)it that I did it does come with LCA's. I am hearing somthing like that also.
How did you rule out the ball joint?

I am also having these issue's but i have not lifted the vehicle. It's a 1997 cherokee sport and i have replaced just about everything i can think of. Mine all started popping and clicking after i replaced the hubs. But that was in hopes of fixing a driver's side front wheel shimmy and slight grind.
PLease let me know if you've come across anything that might have resolved this.
Thanks,
walkeddownalameda

Double check the track bar for two things:
1) Make sure the bolt in the axle mount is straight through the hole, that the bracket and hole haven't wallowed out at all and that the bushing is straight and tight in the bracket
2) Make sure the track bar frame mount and axle bracket are in line with one another. Peer through the driver's side wheelwell at the track bar and see if it's in a straight line from axle to frame. Sometimes if your upper or lower control arms are too short, it will pull the axle back. Then the frame mount is farther forward while the axle bracket is an inch or so back. This causes the track bar to be misaligned, and you will get a pop since the track bar is moving up and down AND forward and back.

I have a similar popping, and that's my problem and solution. Hope that helps.

Chris

the classic mysterious jeep clunk. I have the same thing. I checked the ball joints by lifting and putting my hands on the tire at the 12:00 and 6:00 position and seeing if there was any play. Checked the tierods by doing the same with hands at the 9:00 and 3:00 position. Nothing! Still have to check if trac bar is good. I have the rustys HD with the better end. I am wondering if it could be that my rustys LCA bushing r going bad? Well if somebody can really give a deffinetive write up on Mysterious jeep clunks and Somebody really REALLY Figures out where the hell Death Wobble comes from ill send em a Six pack of their choice and vote for them to get the Nobel prize

javik said:
the classic mysterious jeep clunk. I have the same thing. I checked the ball joints by lifting and putting my hands on the tire at the 12:00 and 6:00 position and seeing if there was any play. Checked the tierods by doing the same with hands at the 9:00 and 3:00 position. Nothing! Still have to check if trac bar is good. I have the rustys HD with the better end. I am wondering if it could be that my rustys LCA bushing r going bad? Well if somebody can really give a deffinetive write up on Mysterious jeep clunks and Somebody really REALLY Figures out where the hell Death Wobble comes from ill send em a Six pack of their choice and vote for them to get the Nobel prize

Death wobble....go inspect your trac-bar.

http://www.jeepin.com/features/trackbarfix/index.asp

Often times, but not always, death wobble is caused by the axle bracket on your track bar being wallowed out. The hole doesn't hold the bolt in securely and causes it to shake around, which shakes the bushing, which shakes the track bar, which shakes your axle. Think "The leg bone is connected to the knee bone....etc" This writeup is how I solved the problem.

Chris

ckh550 said:
http://www.jeepin.com/features/trackbarfix/index.asp

Often times, but not always, death wobble is caused by the axle bracket on your track bar being wallowed out. The hole doesn't hold the bolt in securely and causes it to shake around, which shakes the bushing, which shakes the track bar, which shakes your axle. Think "The leg bone is connected to the knee bone....etc" This writeup is how I solved the problem.

Chris
that is what happened to me, welded in some 1/4" plate, solved all my problems.

Back