NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old September 17th, 2006, 12:43
NAXJA Forum User

factory roof rack question on a 2001

ok well my factory roof rack on my 2001 cherokee limited was fading, so i bought some krylon bumper paint and planned on taking the rack off and painting it.
there are 5 TORX bolts that hold the rack down on each side. every bolt came out easy except the back one on the driver side because the previous owner stripped it out completely.. so the last resort was i took the hack saw and cut it off from under (between the rack and the roof) the rack. i cut the bolt, but now the nut that the bolt screws into can wiggle around in the hole. when i looked in the hole, theres just the other end of the cut bolt, and under that it looks to me like another layer of sheet metal. but my concern is that it might leak ? do the 2001's have double sheeted roofs? before i put the rack back on i put some gasket sealer on the hole, but im still paranoid that one day ill find that its been leaking above the headliner. i hope sombody knows what im talkin about... thankyou.
Old September 17th, 2006, 12:55
NAXJA Forum User

Re: factory roof rack question on a 2001

why dont you buy a left handed drill bit or an easy-out and remove the left in stud, buy a new bolt and have no leakage issues?
Old September 17th, 2006, 12:59
NAXJA Forum User

but do u think if i leave it the way it is ill have leakage issues ? does anyone know how many layers of sheet metal is on the roof ?
Old September 17th, 2006, 13:11
NAXJA Forum User

sorry man, I'm not familiar with the # of sheet metal up top. but if whats left of the bolt is tight you shouldn't have any issues
Old September 17th, 2006, 17:34
NAXJA Forum User

Do it right and get that bolt out. Shouldn't be too hard now that all the tension is off. Like already mentioned, a left handed drill bit or if there is enough, a vice grips. A 2001 is too new to be half assing, IMHO.
Old September 17th, 2006, 18:58
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffsJeep04
Do it right and get that bolt out. Shouldn't be too hard now that all the tension is off. Like already mentioned, a left handed drill bit or if there is enough, a vice grips. A 2001 is too new to be half assing, IMHO.
x2