• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing back window glass

shortxjdoug

NAXJA Forum User
ok just a quick question, how do i remove the stationary back window glass ( the smaller peice) ? just wondering i was hoping to get it done on my lunch break today. thanks for the help

-Doug-

I do believe all the rear stationary glass bits are retained by the rubber seal - I know the liftgate glass is. Just start at one corner, pop the seal up so that you can start pushing it through the hole, and work around from there.

A dull knife or a small, flat screwdriver (or even a stiff putty knife) should prove useful.

5-90

15459_lg.gif

:D

Like 5-90 said, but once you have it started use soapy water to lube the seal and keep working around a little at a time. I wouldn't use any thing metal to pry, you'll chip or break the glass. If you have to get some extra leverage use a glass suction cup to get a little extra pull. Getting someone to help makes the job a whole lot easier, one to push, one to pull and catch the window when it breaks loose.

To install, again use soapy water with some braided nylon cord (1/8 - 3/16 dia) to work the window back in. Starting at one coner and walking the window back into place. Don't pull too hard on the cord or you'll cut the rubber seal and have to start all over.

I installed some pulled factory tinted windows last summer in the cargo area on my '88. Looks nice and it keeps people from seeing what's piled in the back of the rig. Good Luck

Woody

The rear quarter panel window or the stationary piece of glass in the rear doors? Everyone's right if it's the q.p. glass, but if it's the door glass the dividing trim has to be removed (there's more, but I don't want to type it all out if it isn't what you were talking about).

Timber said:
The rear quarter panel window or the stationary piece of glass in the rear doors? Everyone's right if it's the q.p. glass, but if it's the door glass the dividing trim has to be removed (there's more, but I don't want to type it all out if it isn't what you were talking about).

I've had to do this a couple of times, and I think you'll find that you can actually get the glass out without pulling the divider, despite the song and dance the factory manual specifies. If you take off the door panel and remove the bracket that holds the bottom of the glass, you should be able to slide the glass downward. Since it's narrower at the top, it comes out pretty easily once you slide it down a little.

Matthew Currie said:
I've had to do this a couple of times, and I think you'll find that you can actually get the glass out without pulling the divider, despite the song and dance the factory manual specifies. If you take off the door panel and remove the bracket that holds the bottom of the glass, you should be able to slide the glass downward. Since it's narrower at the top, it comes out pretty easily once you slide it down a little.
Nice. Thanks.

Timber said:
Nice. Thanks.
Sorry to revive a dead thread guys. Timber did Matthew's method work for you? I'm doing this to a buddy's Jeep right now to exchange the clear glass for tinted and I could not figure out how the heck it worked. Post back when you get a second.
Thanks,
Collin

Actually, I just completely removed the rear quarter-side glass and put replaceable plexi. in, but I haven't actually done the rear windows. Sorry.

That's okay, I guess I'll address my next question to Matthew then. When you pull the glass downward, does it have enough room to clear the bottom of the door even with it curving up like it does in the back doors?

Hey, I need to do this too and I have taken two out of a parts Jeep. There is a small rivit at the top that locates and fastnes the top of the divider. If it is possible to just do as Matthew C states, GREAT!

90PioSport99 said:
That's okay, I guess I'll address my next question to Matthew then. When you pull the glass downward, does it have enough room to clear the bottom of the door even with it curving up like it does in the back doors?
It's been a long time since I did it, but as I recall, it worked fine. Because the glass is tapered, you do not have to pull it down very far before it is clear of the channels. Sorry I can't remember more detail, but I've done it twice, and at least one of those times involved removing it from the donor vehicle, and it was pretty quick.

Matthew Currie said:
It's been a long time since I did it, but as I recall, it worked fine. Because the glass is tapered, you do not have to pull it down very far before it is clear of the channels. Sorry I can't remember more detail, but I've done it twice, and at least one of those times involved removing it from the donor vehicle, and it was pretty quick.
Hey that's cool man, I just appreciate the response. I'll give it a shot this weekend and let everyone know what I find out.

2 years ago... really?!
It goes back in the opposite way it came out.

Well you should be able to figure out which side of the rubber goes in, its manily a matter of starting it and getting it placed inside. It really is not hard.

Back