• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Making 36's work on a 4" lift...

CheapXJ

NAXJA Forum User
inspired by a $200 set of 36X12.50 TSLs already mounted and ready to go, I decided to make them fit on a 4" lift.

tub00.jpg

first problem... that thing there was too small.

tub01.jpg

so it hadda come out

tub02.jpg

well... wasn't gonna do anything with that XJ except junk what was left of it. might as well get some good use out of it :D

tub03.jpg

2-doors, 2 seats... don't need a backseat anymore... I guess..

tub04.jpg

hardest part was cutting through my tube rockers

tub05.jpg

constructing the new wheel tubs

tub06.jpg

it's good to have friends that are dying to build stuff out of metal :D (especially when you yourself aren't all that good at it)

tub07.jpg

other side cut

tub08.jpg

action shot :D

tub09.jpg

coming together

tub10.jpg

now I'm starting to feel better about this, but I gotta be @ paragon in 3 hours :eek:

tub11.jpg

yup, definitely not fittin the back seat back in there... maybe a YJ fold+tumble seat would work?

tub12.jpg

that's a 33... it looks fawkin TINY in that rediculously huge wheel well.

as far as the front, I just cut away as much fender as possible and bashed the floorboards in w/ a BFH until the tires fit. and believe it or not it actually worked.

I'm still waitin to see pics from the paragon run. I kinda forgot my camera, and didn't get to see it. so far I've only made them rub on the lower control arms at full steering lock...

I definitely like the low center of gravity!

on36s0.jpg

the front is done in that pic, but I hadn't gone nuts w/ the rear yet. just couldn't persuade it enough w/ the BFH to make it fit

Awesome!! I love seeing minimal lift with as huge a tire as possible.

hey that looks sweet ryan!! i wish i was as lucky as you to live around the corner from the coolest Jeep shop in the area...
mike

..the carpets NEVER going to fit, yo. :)

Looks great, I like the big tire, low cg thing.

More pics, some from the side, please.

I have no idea, I haven't seen the pics of it at paragon yet.

all I know is that it worked... GOOD!!!

the rear is NOWHERE NEAR rubbing ANYTHING now. before, with the trimming I had to fit 33's, I had about 1.5" uptravel until it rubbed.

oh mike... not just living near the shop... working there too... today was FUN!!!!

I'll get more pics when I get closer to the XJ, it's sittin back home in PA since I kinda thrashed the living fawk out of it at paragon.

Fore Wheeler said:
No sh!t.

looks nice, post some flex pix when you get some. You said it didn't hit in the rear???

that last pic is of my first test fit, basically, it should come before all the other pics, my rear flare is now about 2" below the window :eek:

Kejtar said:
hmm how much movement up do you think you have? It looks like a cool idea for a trail rig :D

even with the 33's on before, I only had about 4-5" of available uptravel anyways... I used some creative tuning to fit 11" travel shocks up front and I think I have around 9" travel in the rear.

less compression/more droop seems to work really good in the sloppy stuff in my still open diffed rig. It only got retired from DD duty about 3 months ago so I haven't had too much time to really go crazy with it...

but just wait... this is ONLY the beginning :D

ouch!

too bad it don't articulate eh?

dat sux

articulation is required.

I'll take low CG, big meats, and droop all day long over uptravel. nice work. plus it's all about what kinda trails you run, great purpose built rig.

I ran 36x12.50s on my DD with 4.5-5" of lift in the front. It rubbed on the wheel well quite a bit, but nothing damaging to the tires. It still flexed fairly well too.

DSC00082.JPG

DSC00078.JPG

36s a D35, AAL & shackle lift?

Uh, ok.

Back