• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

I'm closed and moved in. Just unpacking slowly but surely. I only have the XJ in the garage now. I'll move the XK in when I empty some boxes. I did get the ZJ home. It fired right up with a jump on Sunday, but wouldn't stay running when the cables came off. I was going to drive it home. I called a wrecker on Monday to bring it home. I put the cables on it again to pull it out of storage and get it in place for pick up. Took the cables off and the damn thing stayed running.

No pictures yet. Eventually.

Being new to welding and putting an artec truss on the Dana 30 is very time consuming.... I keep walking by it to burn another couple beads on... I don't know how hot it has to be to make it warp, so I'll stay on the safe side!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Just picked up another 2 door, 5 speed, 4x4 with a 4.0.
Good to be back to my roots. Hope to get back in touch with some old friends.

Hey Eric! It’s been a while. Can’t wait to see what you do. What year?

Hey Eric! It’s been a while. Can’t wait to see what you do. What year?
Hey Ed! It's a '90 with a swapped in HO motor, AX15, and the newer style np231 without the tailshaft housing. currently has 3.55 gears and d30/35, and a budget boost spacer/shackle kit.
I more or less plan to get some cheap 31's and some lockers, and try not to destroy it, lol. Homebrew bumpers and trimmed fenders may come along, but I'm trying to have fun with my kid on a budget, so close to stock will be the ticket for now.
I'd post a photo, however, the jeep isn't much to look at, nor do I currently have an image hosting service.
It is straight, and I've repaired what rust was in the floor, and Herculiner'd the entire floor, and I'm planning a cheap roll or spray-on tan or OD green paint job.
I'll probably tackle some electrical issues on my next day off, as the gauges, turn signals, and taillights aren't currently working. I did notice when I was last in the jeep that most of the fuses are missing, so that's a place to start.
I also need to wire up the coolant temp switch to run the fan relay, but that'll only take a few minutes. It's just a by-product of using the newer cooling system in an old Renix jeep.
I also need to replace the windshield and do an alignment, but it's all gonna come in time.

Welcome back Eric. Glad to see you back in the game.

In response to your return, here's a picture I took last time I ran with you.

48818285291_9cf8bab744_z.jpg

Rear frame stiffeners are on. Now just to fix the rust holes in the rear floor....
Maybe this thing will be able to hit a trail soon.

Went to the junkyard and got a new mirror and tail light for two different Jeeps. I also got a set of tires for the Ranger. I installed a new belt on the ZJ. I installed the door mirror and glued on the rear view mirror on the windshield. I’ve never done that job before but it seems to be working.

I don't have a headliner or windshield in Annie, but I installed the sun-visor yesterday!

Good to have some garage time, isn't it Ed.

I guess. I’m not looking forward to putting a 3rd new radiator in the ZJ. I just don’t need that kind of stuff right now. It just isn’t something I enjoy doing. I like doing “fun” or quick upgrades etc.

Last edited:
Rust holes are patched and the 8.8 perches are burned in. Anyone have issues using a front shaft in the rear with an 8.8, sye, and about 4.5 inches of lift?

Also does anyone know of a junkyard source of an 8.8 flange for a 1310 ujoint? All I seam to be finding is 1330..

Rust holes are patched and the 8.8 perches are burned in. Anyone have issues using a front shaft in the rear with an 8.8, sye, and about 4.5 inches of lift?

Also does anyone know of a junkyard source of an 8.8 flange for a 1310 ujoint? All I seam to be finding is 1330..

I used a front shaft in my 8.8 swap. I have a 4.0/AW4/NP231 w/sye. It fit with no issues.

The flange is found only on the first gen Ford Explorers 4x4 up to 1994. If it’s a 2wd they are different.

Thanks Ed. That's my combo (4.0 aw4 231).
When I look up ujoints on rockauto it seems to think it's a 1330 joint. Not to be a pain but are you certain on the yoke year?

Got a glass guy coming over today to put a windshield in Annie. Fingers crossed that I got the passenger side A-pillar close enough to accomplish that. Last time he looked at it, he said I was about a half inch from it taking glass. I worked on it with the porta puller and I moved it to within 5* of the angle of the driver's side pillar. He said that the pillars in the XJ don't need to be perfect, so I'm hopeful.

Taking her to Land Between the Lakes on Saturday, and with a 40% chance of rain, a windshield would be a nice addition.

I got my tire carrier fabbed up over the weekend. I took inspiration from Detours Knucklebone. All that's left is to weld on the bolts for the tire and drill a couple more holes. It will be ready for this Saturday's trip to LBL.

Looks good Brian. I got my welder out today and determined it worked. I bought it off a "for sale" forum in Brentwood for $20. A friend of mine has a son who is a welder so I FaceTime'd him and we worked through the machine. Need some parts for it, but once i get them I can start working on learning how to weld.

Back