• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Round tubular bumper and high lift jack

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
My front bumper is a round tubular type, about 3 inch diameter tube construction. I heard that this type of bumper is not safe for use as a jack point for a high lift jack, as the round tube can slide off the jack easier than if it was a square tube.

What is the scoop on this, safe or not?

if not safe are there attachments than have been made for this application, or should I weld some flat plates under the round tubes to give me a flat lift point?

thanks!

ps just got the jack mounted last night, mounts infront of the winch across the front of the jeep.

my winch bumper I want to strength the mounting. my front bumper is only held by three bolts each side thru the stock frame, all in the last few inches of the frame. not strong. there is a steering gear reinforcement plate, but it ends where the bumper mount starts.

I need to some how tie the bumper mount into the frame more, I probably need to do something with the steering gear stiffener also to the bumper can be tied in to the frame more, further back.

You don't even have the mounting to lift the Jeep let alone use the winch.

I am planning for a bumper remount, and repair on both front and rear. Both need reinforcement to frame of the jeep. . The front bumper is however round tube type, I am looking for options to make it safe to lift from without high risk of slipping off the high lift jack. If there are not any good alternatives for the round tube bumper, the I will need to replace it with a squared off design.

What does it take to make a good safe lift point from a jack interface standpoint, i.e. slip of bumper off of jack prevention?

Perhaps even skip using the front bumper to lift, maybe lift from rack rails, which I want to eventually add anyway? are Rock rails, i.e. rock sliders a good left point?

What do you think?

Thanks!

Shows us a pic, we can work with anything.

You can look into these types of Hi lift adapters if you have D-rings.

https://jeepsneeds.com/

If you have one of these style bumpers, probably not the best idea to use it as a jack point.

179981d1362956414t-matching-front-rear-smittybilt-tube-bumpers-image-1704884379.jpg

But the bumper pictured above isn't made of structural tubing so mounts would gain you nothing. Post a pic of what you have.

But the bumper pictured above isn't made of structural tubing so mounts would gain you nothing. Post a pic of what you have.

Agreed. To answer the question about making it more secure I have seen soft shackles used to tie the hilift to round tube.

There's nothing wrong with those, it's your bumper that is the problem.

I can lift my entire front off the ground by a pick at the very end of the fender returns. Also 20yrs ago I bought a 60" Hi-lift and carried it around for about 8yrs. The only time I ever used it was a couple months ago to pull a p/u bed off.
P1080136.jpg

So is this bumper not good at all? I was thing of reinforcing the mounting. It has a winch tray welded to it, prior owner used it to winch, enough that the 1/4 inch steel tray even bent a bit at the fairlead, yet bumper held together. So I thinking the bumper is fairly stout, but maybe I am wrong?

the plastic endcaps are marked as Smittybilt Brand on the bumper.

Is this bumper is even worth reinforcing?

Where's the pic?

That plate you call a steering box brace needs to go, if there a steering box brace on the inside frame rail that's good. Here is the factory XJ mounting plate pattern. You would have to adjust to accommodate your bumper.

211855d1553878568-bumper-modification-20190329_094809.jpg

bumper%20bracket_zpssquqt6fm.jpg

I mean, it might work. it might fall on you and kill you too. no way that tubing is thick enough to support the rig with those short radius bends in it.

take it off and put a stubby bumper on at a minimum. If no notches for hi lift, you can use a jig or reciprocating with the right blade to cut some square holes for your hi lift jack. yes, you also need to reinforce both ends of the jeep if you plan on raising it with a lift on the bumper.

I agree. I those bumpers are pretty thin wall tubing.

If you gotta do it, I like the soft shackle idea. Then you have something that can at least be used for other stuff too. Why do you want to hi lift the front so bad? You'll have to ratchet strap the front end down if you want to change a tire. I quit carrying mine a long time ago, I just keep a small scissors jack if I need to jack up an axle.

Back