• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

241OR swap question

mcguyver_xj

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting ready to swap in a 241OR out of a tj rubicon and was curious if i could run a front xj driveshaft in the rear temporarily until a custom tom woods was installed or if i have to mock everything up order driveshaft then put old t-case back in until new driveshaft comes in?

4x4 garage did a write up but they said they had their driveshaft shortened but did not say what they were running i am assuming they were running a sye and tom woods i am running stock

Im running one on my 241OR. My Tom Woods shafts is getting rebuilt right now, and the stock front shaft works great for mine. Im at about 6" of lift. You are best to measure the yoke length you need for the woods shaft.

cool thanks I am at 4.5" with a 1" drop long arm crossmember...i might take out my degree shims once i get the t-case and stuff in we will see what my angles at...

Just make sure the input shaft is correct as they vary between the auto and the stick in length.

Do you know this for a fact on the 241's, or are you just saying this from experience with 231's/242s? I only ask because I know the difference for the XJ cases, but haven't read much on different lengths for the 241OR.

Currently running a 241OR behind my AW4. Before I got it, it was run behind an AX15. No issues with input length.

The automatic shaft is different between the manual trans for sure 100 percent. I don't know about diffent length as far as an auto with a 231 or 242. I'm pretty sure they are the same or very close. I had a 242 in my xj now i have a 231 and I'm running stock front shafts. My rear axle is now an 8.8. I believe the 241 uses a flange type yoke. From what I've heard most guys just run an aftermarket shaft with the 241 swap. Not 100 percent sure but I thought the rubicon uses 1330 u joints as opposed to the 1310. I don't know if there is an adapter or yoke that will let you run a stock shaft. 99 percent of the stuff I've seen is ran with a Tom woods shaft.

you get different yokes on an xj or tj when swapping in a 241or you get 1310 yokes and you run a double cardan style rear almost like when you do an sye on a 231 or 242 of all the swaps i havge read in or seen i have never heard anyone comment about shaft differences i dont think it matters

I bought the 1310 yokes from Tom Woods for my 241OR. Not sure on the length thing, I got mine out of an auto TJ, and put it into my auto XJ. It was plug and play.

Well, the 231 uses two input shafts and the 241OR, to my knowledge, only has one and the length of the shaft, as referenced from the transfer case to transmission mounting flange, is 1.375". If you look at photos of the T-Case, you will see why I gave this reference. Big differences.

When I did my conversion (2001) to the 97 I had, it had the 5 speed in it so I did not run into any issues. I got the thing from JB Conversions and they changed the driveshaft yokes to take the 1310s. Also, the 241 does not use speedometer drive gears, it has a tone ring to generate the pulses for the PCM to read. I ran 32s and 4.11s so the speedo calibration came out near perfect. There are commercially available electronic speedometer correction hardware out there.

Here is just one:
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=126/mode=prod/prd126.htm

BTW, having a 4:1 is the way to go.

The automatic shaft is different between the manual trans for sure 100 percent. I don't know about diffent length as far as an auto with a 231 or 242. I'm pretty sure they are the same or very close. I had a 242 in my xj now i have a 231 and I'm running stock front shafts. My rear axle is now an 8.8. I believe the 241 uses a flange type yoke. From what I've heard most guys just run an aftermarket shaft with the 241 swap. Not 100 percent sure but I thought the rubicon uses 1330 u joints as opposed to the 1310. I don't know if there is an adapter or yoke that will let you run a stock shaft. 99 percent of the stuff I've seen is ran with a Tom woods shaft.
I was talking about the input shaft that mates the t-case to the transmission, not the front driveshaft.

Pretty sure the rubicon is 1310. My 241OR case is 1310 yokes front and rear (obviously the rear was changed).

Well, the 231 uses two input shafts and the 241OR, to my knowledge, only has one and the length of the shaft, as referenced from the transfer case to transmission mounting flange, is 1.375". If you look at photos of the T-Case, you will see why I gave this reference. Big differences.
This is what I was talking about, and this is what I believed as well. The 241OR input shaft is consistent.

BTW, having a 4:1 is the way to go.
I agree.

Pretty sure the rubicon is 1310. My 241OR case is 1310 yokes front and rear (obviously the rear was changed).

My rubicon case came with a 1330 double cardan yoke in the front and a flanged 1330 yoke in the rear. It now has 1310 yokes front and rear that I had to buy.

I agree with the input shafts being the same. I believe they are what is referred to as a "medium length" shaft.

Back