• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 Cruise Control buttons problem

sweatyjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to install cruise control on my 01 without having to buy switches that go on the steering wheel or a new clockspring (I'm cheap). My approach has been to install a box on the dash with a bunch of switches that add varying resistances between the two cruise "sensing" wires that you get out from the back of the clockspring. This link has been my only clue as to what exactly those resistances need to be. So, knowing that there is 20K ohms present when no switch is depressed, I calculated all the rest of the values to be in parallel with that resistor... so, when I press "set", I'm actually adding a ~10770 resistor (I use a variable resistor to fine tune that value) in parallel with the 20K resistor, which results in the PCM seeing 7000 ohms, which is what the link I posted suggests will work.

So, this kind of works. I can get the cruise light to turn on and off, but so far, I have not been able to get set to actually work. Here are the troubleshooting steps I've taken so far:

I've tried resistances for "Set" between 6.5K and 7K, none have worked so far (I always try to set at 40+MPH, btw.)

I've tested the continuity between my makeshift cruise control buttons box and the PCM, it's good.

The continuity between the PCM and the cruise servo seems good. There are two wires that go from the PCM to the cruise servo, both are making contact.

The cruise servo itself seems to work fine. Using some other forum posts I found the pinout of the servo, turned the car on, and manually connected the pins of the solenoids to the battery, and voila, the throttle gets yanked and it scared the shit out of me. So, no issue with vacuum that I can tell, the cruise servo works fine when you manually connect it to the battery.

When the cruise is on (green CRUISE light on the dash is on) the servo is getting +12v just like it should, and that 12V goes away when you turn off the cruise.

So, the cruise control buttons' resistance is getting to the PCM as far as I can tell, and the PCM's servo control is getting to the servo just fine. I really am at my wits end with this... I don't know what else to test. I really don't think it's the vacuum but it could be that the vacuum is dropping as I get it out on the road going 40MPH?

My last thing I'm not sure on is if the resistances given on the forum post I linked are correct. If anyone has a spare set of cruise buttons for an 01, and wants to test the resistances with a multimeter, that would be fantastic. I really want that to be the issue, that I just haven't found the correct resistance for the "SET" button yet.

Any help is really greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!!

Sounds like you need exact resistances for the set, resume/accel, cancel, and coast inputs.

If you are at wits end just buy the buttons and clock spring from eBay or what not. I found the parts at a pull a part, installed, and had a working cruise control in a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found out that the resistances in that link I posted are incorrect. Or at least, they didn't work for me at all. I found the correct resistances HERE (post 145) and it works great now. I definitely recommend people do it this way if they are having a hard time finding the switches and clockspring for their specific year range as I was and they can stand having cruise on the dash instead of on the wheel.

Back