• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP 242: Rebuild or swap?

GravyDavey

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
1988 4.0 AW4 195K

So, I think I drove my about 250 miles or so with little or no oil in the transfer case which is a np242. I didn't notice it making any noise, but that was probably because I was missing a muffler at the time.

I noticed the noise tooling around the neighborhood a couple of days later. Checked the oil, nothing in there. Refilled. Rear seal was leaking, so replaced that and refilled. It still leaks out of the rear seal, and it still growls a little bit. It also won't shift out of 2wd.

Should I rebuild it? Or get a 231? I'd have to pay a shop to rebuild it because I just don't have the space for it, and the timing is pretty bad. I'm leaning to swapping in a 21 spline 231 if I can find one priced right.

Given the JY prices around here, I wouldn't waste your money having a shop try to fix it. Too inexpensive not to just got another one. Me personally, I'd get another 242, but you can "downgrade" to a 231 if you want.

Probably stretched the chain and burned up the differential thrust washers.

I would get another 242 if it were me, they are in ZJs and couple of other things. Might need some of your parts to make those work.

Thanks for the input, guys.

I'd be happy with another 242 or 231 really. The 242 worked fine for the level of wheeling that I do. I'm going to head down to the jeep jy this week to see what they have.

Did any of the ZJs use a 21 spline 242? I assume that's what I have since it's an 88. It'd be best if I can find something that is a direct swap, and doesn't require me to crack open the case.

Another option if you can’t find a 242...temporarily install a 231 and rebuild the 242 as time/funds allow then sell the 231.

Yeah, I was thinking that might be a good option too. I'll be able to rebuild once I can get into a place with a garage and driveway.

I found a 231 local for $150 (using www.car-part.com), but the mileage is unknown. I think that is my best option for now.

I rebuilt one and it isn't hard. There is a rebuild kit available that includes bearings, seals and clutches. I don't think it includes the chain.

I picked up a 231 for $150 at a local junkyard, so I'm going to hopefully swap that in this weekend. I do have another question regarding oil seal replacement on the 231, but I think I should start another thread on that.

Thanks for all the replies.

Back